Price of honey, (again!)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
2+
Touring Scotland recently visited a famous 'Palace' the gift? shop revealed 'chunk' honey for sale @ £13.90 for 12oz jar!! Where did I go wrong? other than not selling to gullible tourists. Nice jar and label though (I always taste the jar and label!).......small lol.....it's late!

Gift shops are notorious for over inflating prices but tourist still buy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the labeling right, call your honey after something visitors have come to see and they buy it as gifts for others and momentos. When I called my honey Offa's country honey, my bees couldn't produce enough of it to satisfy demand. If you are walking Offa's Dyke, what is better than a jar of honey to take home. The name is up for grabs now I have moved...any offers, or should I say Offa's,
E

Touring Scotland recently visited a famous 'Palace' the gift? shop revealed 'chunk' honey for sale @ £13.90 for 12oz jar!! Where did I go wrong? other than not selling to gullible tourists. Nice jar and label though (I always taste the jar and label!).......small lol.....it's late!

This summer I was quite shocked to see 8oz of runny honey in an NT gift shop priced at £12.

Knock it all you like, but put the right product, in the right place at the right time, and tourists love it. I am starting stocking campsites next year. it goes a bomb!!
I personally think honey is underpriced, when you consider what it takes to get a pot of decent stuff on the shelf, filtered and labelled!!
The work we all put in isn't really justified in the returns but we know that and we still love keeping bees!!

The people that I sell my largest amount to phoned yesterday, it went you are to expensive we will pay 25 pence less per jar for the jars we received last week. I have not altered the price for two years just hope they pay at thirty days or will go to court as a contract is in place for the agreed amount. And they have already sold half of them.

The people that I sell my largest amount to phoned yesterday, it went you are to expensive we will pay 25 pence less per jar for the jars we received last week. I have not altered the price for two years just hope they pay at thirty days or will go to court as a contract is in place for the agreed amount. And they have already sold half of them.

Bang out of order, you agree a price and thats it, for the next purchase, you negotiate if your buying. Some people these days!!

sounds like one of the supermarkets or someone trying to act like one.

Knock it all you like................
I personally think honey is underpriced, when you consider what it takes to get a pot of decent stuff on the shelf, filtered and labelled!!
The work we all put in isn't really justified in the returns but we know that and we still love keeping bees!!

So right.
I watched Mike Palmer's talk on cut comb....now that is a thing of beauty and craft. (not Mike...his cut comb :) )
I loved his comment near the beginning that he sells to other beekeepers and he would rather do that than sell hundreds of gallons of bulk honey to cereal producers where his honey is listed with the salt.

ON MY SOAP BOX

Have you actually worked out the full cost of producing and bottling and labelling your honey?

SIT DOWN WHEN DOING THIS CALCULATION!!

Unless you are illegally importing cheap bulk non EU honey and putting it in a hand labeled plastic pot... I think you may be in for a terrible shock.

Even at £4.80 for 227g (8 oz) in an expensive hex jar bought at a pallet load at a time and 1000 pro printing run.... a loss is being made on every sale!

Thankfully there is more to keeping bees than honey!

Yeghes da

Bale. Now. Come back for the money of course.

ON MY SOAP BOX

Have you actually worked out the full cost of producing and bottling and labelling your honey?

SIT DOWN WHEN DOING THIS CALCULATION!!

Unless you are illegally importing cheap bulk non EU honey and putting it in a hand labeled plastic pot... I think you may be in for a terrible shock.

Even at £4.80 for 227g (8 oz) in an expensive hex jar bought at a pallet load at a time and 1000 pro printing run.... a loss is being made on every sale!

Thankfully there is more to keeping bees than honey!

Yeghes da
So how much do you calculate it costs you to produce said 8oz jar of honey?

As they say one door close's another opens a local butcher called in yesterday and wants to run a trial he has not stocked honey for a couple of years as his keeper moved away but says he used to sell quite a few jars so we will see.

I had another call to enquire if I would except the new terms they are not interested in how much has been invested in bees and equipment or the quality of the produce and packaging they would rather buy cheap and sell with a huge mark up it is a visitor centre so probably not bothered about returning trade or continuity of supply.

As Obee puts it you need to be on your costings and I mean no disrespect but I think now that most in my area have had a good year they have been approached by a few hobbyists who are glad for something back from their hobby and are not really bothered about the bottom line.

Last edited:
So how much do you calculate it costs you to produce said 8oz jar of honey?

Cost of the new Toyota Hilux... rental of land to keep bees on,,, inflated costs of VMD registered Bibollox and time opening little sachets... not forgetting the extraction equipment..... interest on money borrowed from the bank to set up in the first instance... etc etc....
My time comes free, but I do have the advantage of the retirement pension this government so freely gives!

Much nicer to sit quietly in the corner and boast about the kilo or two made for you by the girls.... and heave brickbats at anyone attempting to glean a meager living..... then you should speak to a sheep-farmer and stumble blindly into the real world.

One could become quite cynical methinks!!

Yeghes da

Last edited:
We haven't all got a new Toyota hilux included in our beekeeping equipment.

I reckon about £15 a kg is my cost this year...

Latest posts

Back