Wild honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Do you have a link to the EU order?
Thanks

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/pdfs/uksi_20151348_en.pdf

I don't see raw or wild as a type here

(2) In these Regulations—
“baker’s honey” means honey that is suitable for industrial use or as an ingredient in another
foodstuff which is then processed;
“blossom honey” and “nectar honey” mean honeys obtained from the nectar of plants;
“chunk honey” and “cut comb in honey” mean honeys which contain one or more pieces of
comb honey;
“comb honey” means honey stored by bees in the cells of freshly built broodless combs or thin comb foundation sheets made solely of beeswax and sold in sealed whole combs or sections of such combs;
“drained honey” means honey obtained by draining de-capped broodless combs;
“extracted honey” means honey obtained by centrifuging de-capped broodless combs;
“filtered honey” means honey obtained by removing foreign inorganic or organic matters in such a way as to result in the significant removal of pollen;
“honeydew honey” means honey obtained mainly from excretions of plant sucking insects
(Hemiptera) on the living part of plants or secretions of living parts of plants;
“pressed honey” means honey obtained by pressing broodless combs with or without the application of moderate heat not exceeding 45° Celsius.

There is one new regulation too, that you are not allowed to advertise honey with "heath affects", if you do not have scientific reseaches about that.

Beekeepers offer all kind of bee therapy. IT works so long as something serious happens and a bee man finds himself in the courthouse.
And in normal living, it has something to do with " honest competition and marketing law".

Last edited:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/pdfs/uksi_20151348_en.pdf

I don't see raw or wild as a type here

(2) In these Regulations—
“baker’s honey” means honey that is suitable for industrial use or as an ingredient in another
foodstuff which is then processed;
“blossom honey” and “nectar honey” mean honeys obtained from the nectar of plants;
“chunk honey” and “cut comb in honey” mean honeys which contain one or more pieces of
comb honey;
“comb honey” means honey stored by bees in the cells of freshly built broodless combs or thin comb foundation sheets made solely of beeswax and sold in sealed whole combs or sections of such combs;
“drained honey” means honey obtained by draining de-capped broodless combs;
“extracted honey” means honey obtained by centrifuging de-capped broodless combs;
“filtered honey” means honey obtained by removing foreign inorganic or organic matters in such a way as to result in the significant removal of pollen;
“honeydew honey” means honey obtained mainly from excretions of plant sucking insects
(Hemiptera) on the living part of plants or secretions of living parts of plants;
“pressed honey” means honey obtained by pressing broodless combs with or without the application of moderate heat not exceeding 45° Celsius.

You're absolutely right, Alldigging, but it's surprising how many people ask "Is it raw honey?" and you go through the whole rigmarole of explaining exactly how the honey is extracted and bottled. "Extracted Honey" does not seem to cut it - maybe too many syllables to be trendy!

CVB

You're absolutely right, Alldigging, but it's surprising how many people ask "Is it raw honey?" and you go through the whole rigmarole of explaining exactly how the honey is extracted and bottled. "Extracted Honey" does not seem to cut it - maybe too many syllables to be trendy!

CVB

:hairpull:Perhaps these cheffie twits have been reading about Flow's hives as it seems that it would be the only way of producing rare honey... although contaminated with chemicals in the foundation and plastic twirlie bits no doubt! I would rather try Rick Steins Icelandic poached and fermented shark:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Logically, if his honey is 'wild' and ours is not, then ours must be 'tame' honey, shirley?

Logically, if his honey is 'wild' and ours is not, then ours must be 'tame' honey, shirley?

All the regs say is if you are selling honey the jar must say honey... if it is anything else ( Chinese/ non EU sugar flavoured syrup that is lookielikee honey) then it can not say honey!

Called RED TAPE !!!

Yeghes da

I saw yesterday, that somebody sells "wild fireweed honey" in our internet.
I have not seen anything else but wild fireweeds.

I have planted a white fireweed into my perennial border, but is really looked like a weed in it.
"Feral perennial". So, you can never tame the fireweed.

Last edited:
At least at the end of the honey talk he did say to "buy local honey from your local beekeepers"

Raw honey has a definition!
the state of Utah passed legislation in 2011 which defines “Raw Honey”: (1) as it exists in the beehive or as obtained by extraction, settling, or straining; and (2) that has not been: (A) heated above 118 degrees Fahrenheit during production or storage; or (B) pasteurized.10

All the regs say is if you are selling honey the jar must say honey... if it is anything else ( Chinese/ non EU sugar flavoured syrup that is lookielikee honey) then it can not say honey!

Called RED TAPE !!!

Yeghes da

you can call anything honey so long as in small print you say whats in it. if it is an alcoholic drink or not foodstuff you dont need even to have that. This is according to the director of Basingstoke trading standards.

I've never been convinced of the RAW honey thing. That makes an assumption that honey gets pasteurised?? Sounds bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think it's heated for pasteurisation - it's heated to reduce the viscosity so that it can be fine-filtered. This removes sugar crystals and pollen etc. so that, on the shelf, it looks crystal-clear and, with no pollen in it, its origin is difficult to trace. There's method in their madness.

CVB

I don't think it's heated for pasteurisation -

CVB

Fine set honey making was patented by XXX about 80 years ago. And there it was said, that it is sterilized with Quick heating. You may find the original procedure from internet.

Honey process and product
US 1987893 A

Inventor professor James Dyce Elton
The owner of original patent Cornell University

15/01/1935

"Fermentation was also more common when crystals were present, and the ordinary heating not only eliminated the crystals but also destroyed the yeasts usually present in natural honey which cause it to ferment"

.https://www.google.com/patents/US1987893

Last edited:
... I would rather try Rick Steins Icelandic poached and fermented shark:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

I've actually tasted that. And the sheep they keep in a barrel with rotting milk. Both have to be smelled/tasted to be believed. On the other hand they do a smoked lamb that is absolutely gorgeous.

you can call anything honey so long as in small print you say whats in it. if it is an alcoholic drink or not foodstuff you dont need even to have that. This is according to the director of Basingstoke trading standards.

Actually you can't. The law is quite clear about that, so your Basingstoke guy is wrong. From the UK regulations:

(3) A person must not use the name “honey” in trade as the name of a product if the product is not honey

16.—(1) A person must not place any product on the market as “honey” unless it meets the appropriate compositional criteria for “honey” specified in Schedule 1.

5. No food ingredient has been added, including any food additive.
6. No other additions have been made to the honey except for other honey.
7. It must, as far as possible, be free from organic or inorganic matters foreign to its composition.

The EU regulations are even clearer. They say that something may only be called honey if it fulfils:
Honey is the natural sweet substance produced by Apis mellifera bees from the nectar of plants or from secretions of living parts of plants or excretions of plant-sucking insects on the living parts of plants, which the bees collect, transform by combining with specific substances of their own, deposit, dehydrate, store and leave in honeycombs to ripen and mature.

Interestingly, when I read the EU instructions it hit me that only bulk honey is required to have "filtered honey" and "bakers honey" marked on it - what an impact that would have if that law was extended to retail jars. The producers of pollen-free syrups would have to rethink the composition of their products then.

Latest posts

Back