Powered barrow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
In anticipation of a bumper crop this year. I have 15 hives at an out apiary that is at the bottom of a steep hill and starting to have nightmares about dragging supers up to load onto my pick up. I have been looking at powered barrows, has anyone tried one and if so, experiences please?
S

My only experience was coming round after the price of them registered in my subconscious! :svengo:
Pasta meal the night before & a couple of bottles of Lucozade for breakfast, you'll be fine! :ohthedrama:

Last edited:
Seen powered golf trolley

Kaptarlift I think is the name of the one mentioned at the last BFA meet I attended, Those that use them were quite positive about the machine, One comment I remember though was that the electric drive is only on one wheel which could be an issue on wet rough ground.

why not get a winch fitted to your vehicle and make an unpowered barrow up with a coupling to attach the winch to - extend with a rope if required - hey presto ! no need for an expensive powered barrow

better still - use block and tackle and make a heath robinson contraption !

I like that, maybe one day

I use a tipper version of one of these as my 2 acres is 75ft from top to bottom average 1:6 slope. If only required for the occasional major job they can be hired.

Think that hiring may be the way to go until I can afford one. Have thought of using a quad but by the time I put it on pick up there wouldn't be space for supers. Could buy a trailer for quad but added expense.
My original thought was a powered wheel barrow but they start around £400!!!!
Last year I carried them up the slope, still having nightmares. If it wasn't so good, I would move the bees but it really is good, most have 2 supers on at present, some 3
S

Several years ago I bought an electric muck-truck. It cost as much as a small car but it has so many uses. It used to climb my mountain I had as a garden on the Welsh borders. It moves breeze blocks, sand concrete, wood, anything. A charge will last all day. The car batteries it runs on can be used for your vaporiser, it is a gods send and although very expensive was worth every penny, I even tip the front down and use it as a snow plough. A small frame at the base and it will move a beehive over any terrain.
Will send photos if you want them
E

Could you diy one, loads video on YouTube

Cheap Quad and trailer might work out better, plus more load room when you don't need the quad? What I have noticed, watching YouTube is that those machines with out good tyres don't go up steeped grass hills very well.

Several years ago I bought an electric muck-truck. It cost as much as a small car but it has so many uses. It used to climb my mountain I had as a garden on the Welsh borders. It moves breeze blocks, sand concrete, wood, anything. A charge will last all day. The car batteries it runs on can be used for your vaporiser, it is a gods send and although very expensive was worth every penny, I even tip the front down and use it as a snow plough. A small frame at the base and it will move a beehive over any terrain.
Will send photos if you want them
E
Many Thanks
Had a look online and they look just the job, will keep eye out for 2nd hand one and if no joy, hire one for this year and put on list for next year.
S

Could you diy one, loads video on YouTube

I would love to have the time to fabricate one, but have little spare time working full time 45-50hrs, bees 30hrs a week. My fabrication skills are also not what they were many years ago and it would probably go up hills sideways or more likley not at all!
S

That doesn't leave much time at all! But for those that might think about it, I was thinking a old rotavator engine maybe?

A cheap secondhand petrol mower with a powered drive. Remove the blade and make a table secured to the metal canopy above the motor to put a couple of supers on.
Might work?

I was pretty gutted last week, I saw one of those old stair-climbing wheelchair lifts with the rubber caterpillar tracks dumped in a skip, but I could not get to it.
I hear they are now banned due to health and safety and all public building needing an elevator lift instead.
Something like that would be a great job.

Personally I'd try the winch pulling a sled up the hill.

Latest posts

Back