Potato varieties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you grow those?

Same way as they grow tins of tomato soup.

tomato-soup-plants.jpg

I like Nadine and Belle de Chantenay, sometimes I'll have a row of Lady Christl - don't bother with maincrop - for the amount we eat, might as well get them at the local grocer. Decided to only plant one row of spuds this year as a lot usually goes to waste and am trying something different - a potato called 'Jazzy'
What about tomatoes? Sungold and Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse for me

I steer well clear of tomatoes such as moneymaker,Alicante and the like - tastless fruit so you might as well go to Tesco.
I found I was spending loads of money and time propagating my own seeds and everyone else was benefitting - there's a garden centre not far from the office that supplies all the tomatoes bar one that I like, and also a local shop down the road - the Bazaar (motto - if we don't stock it, you don't need it) and works out cheaper for enough for two greenhouses:
Sungold and suncherry, black cherry (does what it says on the tin - a cherry tomato that is...black!) there used to be a cherry type tomato called harlequin - superb flavour but I can't get the seeds any more standard tomato: Golden sunrise, Shirley and black russian.
As for cucumber - only one choice 'Carmen' massive yields, and they taste great however big they get, and I'm usually still picking them in December.

I like Nadine and Belle de Chantenay, sometimes I'll have a row of Lady Christl - don't bother with maincrop - for the amount we eat, might as well get them at the local grocer. Decided to only plant one row of spuds this year as a lot usually goes to waste and am trying something different - a potato called 'Jazzy'

Are you getting muddled up with 'Belle de Fontenay' or are you thinking of Chantenay carrots, Just wondering

Mike

Are you getting muddled up with 'Belle de Fontenay' or are you thinking of Chantenay carrots, Just wondering

Mike

You're right - it's Fontenay - no good at this multi-tasking!

I'd say average but not special.
Cazza

Thanks for reply.
May give these a go as my main crop frequently get devastated by blight.
A crop of even average potatoes would often be better than what I get.

I see there is also a blight resistant tomato from Suttons now but only as plants.

If blight is a problem try sarpo Mira. I can grow it here where everything else fails. It can resist blight and carry on growing. No need to cut the foliage off.
Cazza

Hi Cazza
Tried Sarpo Mira when they were first introduced into the UK...they failed miserably, they must have had some sort of disease, I haven't been able to grow spuds in the patch they were in since. Everything else grows fine in that patch, in fact I crop my best yield of peas there every third year.

Hi Cazza
Tried Sarpo Mira when they were first introduced into the UK...they failed miserably, they must have had some sort of disease, I haven't been able to grow spuds in the patch they were in since. Everything else grows fine in that patch, in fact I crop my best yield of peas there every third year.

That's interesting. Perhaps they do well in my very sandy soil.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back