Potatoes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just spent the afternoon peeling most of what is left of this year's potato crop - they were starting to sprout and the ones that were left were those that 'er indoors feels are too small to peel (frankly as she uses a knife to peel them and slices off about quarter of an inch with every slice, anything less than the size of a fist falls into that category) - plus any mishapes get thrown back and any with the slightest hole or blemish

I eat all the *too small* ones first. Skins left on, I just slice them and fry in sunflower oil. Delicious. That lasts from July to October and then the bigger ones can be peeled for the Solid Spud dishes.

I eat all the *too small* ones first. Skins left on, I just slice them and fry in sunflower oil. Delicious. That lasts from July to October and then the bigger ones can be peeled for the Solid Spud dishes.
Yes ...that's the sensible option ... the smaller ones always seem to start sprouting earliers than the bigger ones and even with a decent peeler the very small ones are difficult and time consuming to peel. Having said that ... persuading 'er indoors that clean potatoes that haven't come in a plastic bag from the supermarket are fit to eat the skins might be a challenge ...

I've processed all my potatoes I had left .. roundels of mash, fishcakes and some roasted all now in the freezer. Should keep us going until about March I reckon. I usually do a few earlies in tubs for new potatoes with a bit of luck as early as May if the weather is warm so only a few months of shop bought spuds.
Mash.jpg .Mash.jpg

Has anybody grown Vivaldi as a new potato.
I’m looking at what to order and fancied something different. Usually grow Charlotte.

Has anybody grown Vivaldi as a new potato.
I’m looking at what to order and fancied something different. Usually grow Charlotte.
Try Belle de Fontenay Really nice potato - would rate it above Charlotte (which is my second choice if I can't get Belle)

Latest posts

Back