Pompous men in beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beren

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
What is it about beekeeping that attracts that silly pompous strain of man?

You know the type, they have an opinion on everything. They cant see anything past the end of their nose.

Beekeeping isnt difficult so if you think your the master of mankind because you keep a few bees then you are probably one of these people.

*END OF RANT*

You know the type, they have an opinion on everything. They cant see anything past the end of their nose.

Beekeeping isnt difficult so if you think your the master of mankind because you keep a few bees then you are probably one of these people.

*END OF RANT*

Sorry, I disagree. Most beekeepers of whatever gender are enthusiastic about their craft and on a forum like this, happy to share their knowledge, opinions or questions. You can react in one of two ways :willy_nilly: you can share in their enthusiasm and be grateful, or you can be prickly and defensive and bite anyone who crosses your path. Much like bees actually, but we tend to be less tolerant towards the prickly ones than we are towards the human kind.
:chillpill:

I think the problem is that it's difficult to read people's intentions on an internet forum.
I'm 100% guilty of this - I can have a tendancy to over-react to something that was not meant as offensive (apologies to anyone who has been on the receiving end!!)
It's an intrinsic hazard of communicating without face-to-face contact.

Im not talking about just on this forum.

There is a way of delivering knowledge to people around you and taking part in discussion that does not make people defensive.

Aggressively attempting to force your ways and means on people serves no one and achieves nothing.

Beekeeping has a disproportionate number of such people.

Have to agree- I listened to a beekeeper recently who is very knowledgeable and I respect that- but his way is the only way- if you disagree?? then 'bugger off' attitude is shown by him - to all his Assoc members.

Let these kind of people think they are in control ;) learn what you need from of them as they have an opinion and are going to share it no matter what.

Beekeeping isnt difficult

I don't know how you worked that out. If beekeeping was 'easy' you wouldn't find a zillion books written on the subject, you wouldn't find beekeeping forums on the internet with thousands of members, and there wouldn't be the number of courses up and down the country where you can learn the craft.

Buying a nuc of bees and sticking them in a hive and letting them get on with it is perhaps easy. But good beekeeping practice is, in my opinion, difficult to master. Things like disease recognition, swarm control, keeping on top of the varroa problem, and modifying aspects of your beekeeping to make it easier for you, are all difficult aspects of the craft.

There is a better way of doing everything ... that is the challenge of beekeeping.

And apart from that, we are talking colonies of live creatures here.

Im not talking about just on this forum.

There is a way of delivering knowledge to people around you and taking part in discussion that does not make people defensive.

Aggressively attempting to force your ways and means on people serves no one and achieves nothing.

Beekeeping has a disproportionate number of such people.

Dont talk such bloody rubbish, you havent a clue what your on about.
Now LISTEN TO ME, beekeeping is full of nice people.... mostly :D

I don't know how you worked that out. If beekeeping was 'easy' you wouldn't find a zillion books written on the subject, you wouldn't find beekeeping forums on the internet with thousands of members, and there wouldn't be the number of courses up and down the country where you can learn the craft.

Your right there are lots of courses. Mainly money making schemes where at the end of the course you end up buying all the expensive gear from the person who ran the course!

one thing you will find- and the easy rule of thumb to use- all good beekeepers (and all good tutors / mentors) all say "we are still learning..." if they dont admit to that then dont listen... on here 90% + have all said they are still learning even the ones with the perhaps grumpier reputations... hence on here I read all with interest... anyone who says they know it all didnt understand the question...

Last edited:

*END OF RANT*

Have to say I rather agree old thing. Was a bit of a shock to me, after a lifetime in a profession where pomposity was non-existent, taking up a pass time where it was so prevalent came as something of a shock.

Still, when I feel that people are being a little OTT, I find a good stiff pink gin usually works.

What is it about beekeeping that attracts that silly pompous strain of man
because they are like thier bees.............

They know whats best.....bee-smillie

You think beekeepings pompous ha haa, you wanna try learning the complexities of fish keeping. There are lots of good natured people out there but some just like to throw in some science to confuse. I associate these folk to I.T. people as they want you to keep coming back for more since it keeps them in business.

As long as you understand that though it's fine and you get by!!

*END OF RANT*

sounds just like me, ask my wife im never wrong :smilielol5:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back