Polystyrene bee chew proof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi,has anyone found poly sheets that the bees do't chew through it for insulated follower boards.Poly hive was experimenting with some stuff for nucs does he still post here?

Thanks for the replies I know about the kingspan and tape idea but I'm looking for the poly that can just be cut and used without tape.Styrodur a styrofoam that is hardened by heat is the type of thing I'm looking for.Polyhive not on here anymore?

i have made some poly nuc boxes this winter i got it from underfloor heating they also do sheets with fiberglass faces

Thanks for the replies I know about the kingspan and tape idea but I'm looking for the poly that can just be cut and used without tape.Styrodur a styrofoam that is hardened by heat is the type of thing I'm looking for.Polyhive not on here anymore?
Why ? PIR from Wickes etc is cheap .. aluminium tape from Toolstation is cheap and dead easy to use.. why make life difficult and more expensive ? If it works - don't fix it !

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Kingspan-TW50-Insulation-Board---1200-x-450-x-50mm/p/180440
https://www.toolstation.com/aluminium-foil-tape/p81953

You need high density micro bead EPS (Poly) atleast 100g/l. They shouldn't chew it, or anywhere near as bad then. Most packaging is larger beads (easily chewed) and 30-40g/l. The celotex with foil is probobly the cheapest option. High density poly is not really widely available, we had some sheets made for us for prototyping as couldn't source anything as standard supply.

As Pargyle above. KISS principle. Offcutts and scrapped PIR from skips is even cheaper.
I rarely buy any PIR ... there are always bits left that are up for grabs on freecycle and if you keep your eye open for building sites - there are always usable bits left that are up for grabs in the skip. I did buy two 8' x 4' 25mm PIR from ebay .. kept me going or ages...

I use Wickes poly insulation cut to fit a brood frame. A spray adhesive and kitchen foil completes the job at low cost and the foil reflects the heat back into the colony too.

Hi,has anyone found poly sheets that the bees do't chew through it for insulated follower boards.Poly hive was experimenting with some stuff for nucs does he still post here?
Use the search facility I read his posts regarding the board a few weeks ago but wasn’t paying that much attention in order to tell you where😂there was a specific hard poly board he was looking for himself.

Found it......word of warning no poly is bee chew proof if you give them an excuse!!!!sealed edges protected edges and don’t let them see daylight. 25mm insulation board

I’ve also been thinking of constructing a poly nuc and maybe a super insulated brood box for overwintering. The closed cell foam looked at so far is:
https://bluefoam.co.uk/product/thin-foaml have a sample and it looks promising. It is quite rigid and fairly impact resistant though l will consider the addition of some wooden/ply parts for additional strength for lifting etc. The sample that came is black, having superseded ‘blue’ and although surface sealed is slightly hairy on the face. This can be gently sanded smooth however and l may end up painting the exterior anyway.
Recommended glue is UHU POR and l will either use wooden dowels or may cut a slot and rebate on the corners to give some mechanical strength and increase glueing area. It is supposed to be easily machinable but l have yet to try making a joint. I would welcome others collaborative thinking.

Latest posts

Back