Poly hive getting nibbled

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithFife

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
View attachment 38337Going round doing OA treatment today and noticed something has been nibbling at all four corners of this double nuc. Anyone care to guess if it is a badger, fox or other? I dont expect any repair or deterant is going to put them off so probably best to move it to another apiary and repair in the spring?

View attachment 38337Going round doing OA treatment today and noticed something has been nibbling at all four corners of this double nuc. Anyone care to guess if it is a badger, fox or other? I dont expect any repair or deterant is going to put them off so probably best to move it to another apiary and repair in the spring?
20231214_144443.jpg

That would be my first guess too.

James
Yes they do seem to be high on the list of suspects. Thanks both. Will move to another spot before they do any more damage. I must have been lucky not to have had this happen to any over wintering polynucs until now.

Interesting. Have you had success with this? Bear in mind these are Scottish rats so might not be put off by a spicy takeaway!
Not tried it myself (not had the need).
It does make sense though as chillies produce capsaicin (the hot stuff) to put off rodents but not dissuade birds (insensitive to it) from spreading their seeds.

Not tried it myself (not had the need).
It does make sense though as chillies produce capsaicin (the hot stuff) to put off rodents but not dissuade birds (insensitive to it) from spreading their seeds.

Indeed. I'm sure I've read that mixing hot chiles with bird food can cause squirrels to lose interest in robbing feeders.

James

I had a hamster as a boy which ate a very small part of a chilli which had got into its food mix accidentally. I wondered what had happened as it went berserk in its cage and was really distressed. I checked its food from then on.

This is what wasps did to my polys, as I've previously posted:

Attachments

• 3C5AA36F-B828-440A-8FFA-35514048D140.jpeg
    3C5AA36F-B828-440A-8FFA-35514048D140.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 21EDC273-87EA-4C6C-9B2B-17DE0C95BFD4.jpeg
    21EDC273-87EA-4C6C-9B2B-17DE0C95BFD4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Following Dani’s suggestion on making lighter roofs I’ve been using this without any trouble at all for three years, I think. This year I noticed several areas of damage and repaired with aluminium tape. There was a shifty looking nuthatch sitting in a branch overhead, almost looked like it was whistling as it looked away. Next morning even the repairs had been pecked through so replaced with a metal roof (plus 50mm insulation - put in by me) from Gwenyn Gruffydd bee supplies in Cwrt Henry, Carmarthenshire - £17.99 each - National Beehive Galvanised Assembled Roof 4"(100mm) Deep - European Style by Thomas Apiculture

1703204687911.jpeg

Latest posts

Back