poly crownboard ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdod

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 ish lol
I am slightly confused the pa***s poly national comes with a poly crownboard which has no holes in it, so when you want to take a super off is there anyway you can let all the bees get out prior to lifting it off or again am I being daft...

what is the difference between bottom bee space and top bee space which you can alter by using the metal runner or not?

many thanks

A crown board is an inner lid, which keeps the bees away from the roof.

You need a clearer board for emptying bees out of supers.

I am slightly confused the pa***s poly national comes with a poly crownboard which has no holes in it, so when you want to take a super off is there anyway you can let all the bees get out prior to lifting it off or again am I being daft...

Crownboard should have no holes.
Feeder boards and clearer boards need one or more holes.

You are losing out if you try and cover all three jobs with the same board.

Pains hive packages come with a flexy plastic sheet that, (with rails fitted to the box), rests on the topbars. And gets prop'ed to it. Which makes it awkward to replace without a full clean-down on every inspection. Just like the nasty metal (or plastic) sheet queen excluders. Pains give you a plastic sheet qx as well.

The good news is that you can use coverboards, feeder boards and clearer boards (and qx's too) that were made for wooden hives.
Its pretty easy to make a Rhombus clearer board - it must be, I've done it!
And if you think about it, making it so that with the plastic rhombus removed it becomes a feeder board, you could save yourself storing another spare part.
Then you can buy a polycarb crownboard (no holes) from T's (for example).
And you can attach an Apiguard eke (home made) to one side. And cut a square of building insulation board (Kingspan, Celotex, whatever) to fit neatly inside the eke, to give you a very fine set hive parts.
Unless you really want to build a tricky little frame, its best just to buy a framed, rigid-wire qx ...
Don't throw out the bits Pains supply, you'll find other uses for them!

Top/bottom beespace is a traditional squabble.
For National-format hives, bottom beespace is standard.
If you are determined to use top beespace by leaving out the rails, you'll get your frame lugs prop'd to the ledges. Which isn't at all helpful. And you would want plain flat qx and coverboard.
Use the rails, and use framed qx and coverboard to give beespace beneath. Keep It Simple S....

many thanks itma very clear responce answered my question perfectly..

While Itma's response was very comprehensive, leaving little or nothing for a beek to consider him/herself, I though BJF's was equally accurate and very succinct.

The good news is that you can use coverboards, feeder boards and clearer boards (and qx's too) that were made for wooden hives.

I thought this. I ordered two national crown boards and they are too small. The edges do not fit flush with the poly sides therefore you can't fit the roof snug around the crownboard. You have to just place it on top and strap it down. Can't see this doing much for the thermal properties. I much prefer my cedar 16x10s. So much easier to work with plus if it is insulated very well is just as warm if not warmer than poly

I thought this. I ordered two national crown boards and they are too small. The edges do not fit flush with the poly sides therefore you can't fit the roof snug around the crownboard. You have to just place it on top and strap it down. Can't see this doing much for the thermal properties. I much prefer my cedar 16x10s. So much easier to work with plus if it is insulated very well is just as warm if not warmer than poly

I'll let derekm deal with the last fallacy about insulating a wooden hive.
In practice the exposed wood band of a framed coverboard doesn't harm the insulation much.
The thin-ness of Pains roof is much more of a problem. I have previously mentioned that I use a Kingspan-filled super plus P's roof as my "roof unit" at present. That is what cured the condensation on the polycarb coverboard! (And from the photos I've seen it is usual on Pains flexy coversheet - because the roof is too thin and the coverboard is colder than the walls.)

Wooden parts have the same 460mm square external mating surface as the Pain's poly.
The wood-framed parts do exactly what is required.
The poly's sides are topped with a small sloping section that doesn't touch poly-to-poly - the contact surface is pretty much the same as on a wood-to-wood meeting.
If you were making your own strictly for poly only, then you would get a better cosmetic effect by going for a 500mm square external dimension, with a 20mm wider than usual frame (so you retained the BS internal dimension).
But this isn't needed.
// And with Pains poly you are already choosing utility over cosmetic appeal.

Holding the roof on - use a strap or a couple of bricks always. No difference framed coverboard or not.
Foolish not to hold the poly roof down properly.

Last edited:
:iagree:
I found exactly the same, from the moulding, there is a flat area (designed?) specifically for location of wooden parts. As itma has suggested, a wider frame would be more aesthetic but not essential.

use a crown board with a hole in it for feeding at times, you can soon bloke it up to stop the bees coming through, saves you having 2 types of boards

use a crown board with a hole in it for feeding at times, you can soon bloke it up to stop the bees coming through, saves you having 2 types of boards

This is what I do. Porter bee escape holes also make good feed holes. Then you have 3 uses. Although I'm unaware of the disadvantages.

This is what I do. Porter bee escape holes also make good feed holes. Then you have 3 uses. Although I'm unaware of the disadvantages.

Clearly.
Obviously your feeders must have oval bee accesses, you prefer Porter escapes to all the others you've tried, and you see no benefit in the vapour-proof sealing of a crownboard.

Each to their own!

Well. They are building and flying strong after a harsh summer,winter and spring where many experienced beekeepers have lost colonies so I don't feel I'm doing too bad in my 3 years experience. Oval, square, round or triangle who cares as long as they have good access to the feeder? Once the holes are blocked and prop'd that takes care of heat loss. I dont understand the need to make more work for myself when my methods are fine.

:iagree:

Easy enough to swap a crown board for an escape board on a hot summer's day but not so good on the bees swapping for a feeder board in the cold.
My winter crown boards have feeder holes covered with tape and 50mm kingspan.
In the summer there are no holes at all.

One crown board with a center hole for a contact feeder or a fondant tub that is covered in the summer with a bit of 18mm ply, also use a clearing board with a rhombus escape. You don't remove crown board to put a clearing board in as the crown board is above the supers but I do remove the QE if removing the super above the BB...........KISS

Often a good idea to put the q excluder above the clearer board, more so if using those prehistoric porter escapes.

Latest posts

Back