poly crownboard ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this. I ordered two national crown boards and they are too small. The edges do not fit flush with the poly sides therefore you can't fit the roof snug around the crownboard. You have to just place it on top and strap it down. Can't see this doing much for the thermal properties. I much prefer my cedar 16x10s. So much easier to work with plus if it is insulated very well is just as warm if not warmer than poly

So you are using a box of 50mm kingspan with taped seams to completely cover, like tea cosy, your hive roof and walls? if not then i have doubts about the claim.

Well. They are building and flying strong after a harsh summer,winter and spring where many experienced beekeepers have lost colonies so I don't feel I'm doing too bad in my 3 years experience. Oval, square, round or triangle who cares as long as they have good access to the feeder? Once the holes are blocked and prop'd that takes care of heat loss. I dont understand the need to make more work for myself when my methods are fine.

I agree, I use feeder boards all year round I just put a piece of slate or ply over the hole for the winter I do however have a rhombus clearer board. I make my own feeder boards for BBS with an 8 mm rim one side and a 16 mm one the other side so I can flip it over for the autumn Apiguard application.

if not then i have doubts about the claim.

'Poly' in this context is a hive with 40mm walls and a density exceeding 100kg per cubic metre. The above certainly attempts to exagerrate the comparison. 50mm kingspan plus 19mm timber would far exceed the thermal properties of the average polyhive which is 40mm thick, at the most, for the walls and maybe a little thicker for the roof. Perhaps the poster could be a tad more realistic when making such claims of non-compliance?

I certainly agree with Ely in that 'insulated very well' would and could mean just that.

many thanks my original question has been answered and much more
I/we are always looking for the best ways of doing things and you certainly get a lot of good suggestions on this great forum..
:thanks:

So you are using a box of 50mm kingspan with taped seams to completely cover, like tea cosy, your hive roof and walls? if not then i have doubts about the claim.

I had kingspan in the roof then super with lagging. Snow was still piled deep on top of the cedar commercial long after it had melted off the poly. May not be very scientific but it convinced me. Warmth aside I won't be buying any more poly because I find cedar commercials a pleasure to work with.

I'm also very clumsy and me, a hive tool and a poly hive are not a good mix hehe

Last edited:
Back