poly crownboard ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont understand the need to make more work for myself when my methods are fine.

Ely, If that works for you, good.

Personally my crownboards are a simple sheet of 10mm ply and no feed hole.

Like yours, the bigger format rarely needs feeding in the spring (and certainly not during the winter), so why bother with feeder holes if they are not needed? Insulation sheet sits flat on the crownboard. There are advantages of top bee space!!!

Mine either over-winter or not - it's not generally a matter of stores shortage as long as the bees (or the beekeeper) are able to ensure the box is full of stores in the autumn. A large box means thy can be left undisturbed for that much longer - a huge plus compared with those that are endlessly (and needlessly?) fiddling with their colonies throughout the winter and early spring.

Rainwater cover and inner cover systems are many.

If they do not work, shange them so that they work.

Single polycover is a solution which you can use only right way.

Stop thinking, how many ways you may use it wrong way.

I use polyboxes but I make floors and covers myself. I save money.
Wooden surfaces are easy to keep clean with flaming.
I make them from recycled material, boath wood and insulation parts.

I need not peep into hive through plastic. It helps nothing.

Beeks are ready to argue about covers issues to final blood droplet, but if you have a good habit, stay in there.

I have also notice I rarely need to feed due to a huge Ivy flow in autumn in this area. I did make the mistake of over worrying and feeding fondant this spring which turned out to be unneeded. Hefting is an area I need to improve

How do these work? I've manually removed bees with a bee brush frame by frame but that seemed a bit aggressive despite being gentle. I used porter bee escapes last year which seemed pretty effective, just 2 or 3 bees left in the super the next day. I also got followed when I manually removed the bees as 1 or 2 must have watched me go

How do these work? I've manually removed bees with a bee brush frame by frame but that seemed a bit aggressive despite being gentle. I used porter bee escapes last year which seemed pretty effective, just 2 or 3 bees left in the super the next day. I also got followed when I manually removed the bees as 1 or 2 must have watched me go
Ely,
Have you seen the homemade clearer board that uses a rhombus escape cut in half and fitted at opposite corners over a hole in said corners? I made on of these and it was the best I've tried.

Ely,
Have you seen the homemade clearer board that uses a rhombus escape cut in half and fitted at opposite corners over a hole in said corners? I made on of these and it was the best I've tried.

No I've never seen it, be willing to give it a try. That's me being optomistic for honey!

Ely,

:iagree:

Must remember to put the job lot of porter escapes I bought in the sales on fleabay one day

Cool. I'll give it a go

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Why do the bees not walk back through the hole?

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

It's bee sized but I've read they sense the exit is the drilled hole and attempt to get back that way. I have a few rhombus clearers to cut in order to make some more of these.

(edit: too slow! but ... )

They get confused by all the little holes in the rhombus escape, and can't easily find their way to the bee-sized hole at the corner.

If you leave it on for too long they'll work it out.

Ah I see. Are they better thsn porters because they clear faster and don't clog?

Ah I see. Are they better thsn porters because they clear faster and don't clog?

I used a rhombus on one hive last year which I had on overnight and a porter escape on another , put on the same time but which i didn't get the super until six hours after the rhombus one.
No more that half a dozen bees in four supers with the rhombus - a kitchen full of bees off one super with the porters - I'm a convert!

I have quite a bit of ply knocking around so I'll make few of these.

Latest posts

Back