Pollen comming in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig1961

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all.
Just a quick post to say that pollen has been brought to the hives today.
Spring coud be on the way.
Craig.

had a little bit coming in about 2 days ago, bright yellow. Thinking tree pollen of some sort. And propolis... Thanks girls!

mine have been bringing in pollen all through jan and feb.

I thought mine were special!! LOL..
Mine was wedgewood blue and a rusty orange colour

Ditto dpearce4 - mine have brought something in every week but 1...I can't believe some of the weather they fly in!!

Not to many flying today, but they were bringing in the pollen. My crocus bulbs are now starting to flower, I hope the mice have not eaten to many.

planted a load of crocus this winter, only one or two starting to flower as yet. Also didn't know mice ate crocus bulbs.. until yesterday, grumble, grumble

Mice love them, I had hundreds in the greenhouse which I had failed to plant, all were eaten.

The stronger of my two colonies was bringing plenty of pollen in yesterday - a very pale yellow colour. Can't identify it from any of the online colour guides though... and there's not a lot around flowering at the mo here.

Still, always a heartening sight at this time of year!

The way to avoid this when planting is to lift sod, throw bulbs down, place a layer of chicken wire on top and replace sod. Job done :)

i would have thought the mesh of chicken wire might be a bit big and let the sod get through.

No pollen at all for my lot yet :(

One of my national hives is much more active than the others (taking in water?) and 2 are merrily munching through the fondant. One hive has barely touched theirs though but still a few bees coming and going so fingers crossed:eek:

bringing in like a creamy white pollen loads of it and a bit of egg yellow stuff as well

Both my hives..... I just wanted to say that as I am really excited that I now have two hives which seem to have survived the winter .... are bringing in pollen, well the bees are not the hives. I can't wait to have a wee peep to see how they are doing but will leave it untill march. They have fondant and the hives seem heavy enough. Roll on summer. I am not going on holidays this year and I actually feel pleased about this as I had to do an artificial swarm the day before I left for almost three weeeks last year.

I think next year a liberal coating of ferret poo is called for

I feel that I should caution against this. I had suggested it to the current Lady DD on one playful occasion, but she objected on the grounds that it was anti-social, would frighten the servants and would seriously stain the bedsheets!

Seriously, though. Just had a look at my three colonies (yes - to my astnishment they have so far all survived the winter!).

Only one was flying with enthusiasm, but lots of lovely pollen coming in.

Yellow stuff could well be mimosa mine are coming back covered in it

Latest posts

Back