Play cups? lets put this to bed.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Righto folks, seen lots of talk of play cups and people worried, me too :D

So here you go.
See this "thing" in the middle of the photo, play cup right?

_MG_4096resize.jpg

Or is it a forthcoming queen cell?

_MG_4091resize.jpg

No,not a play cup.......a drone larvae in a worker cell,poorly laying queen.

I have learned something today. THANK YOU!!!!!

Thank you folks!

Ive learned something too.

I think it should be mandatory for everyone to take photos of thier frames :D

Edit: Just out of curiosity, are play cups larger than what is shown in this photo? just downwards pointing? Or same size, just for future reference...

Play cups
This picture was taken about 2 weeks after I collected them as a swarm.
c2.jpg

A few days on they were torn down.

Last edited:
Play cups / Queen cells, both realy mean nothing until grub is there.

Yep! and as posted else where today a 7 day inspection cycle should let you catch that 'change of state' and react to it with time to spare - provided you have the spare kit of course!

- provided you have the spare kit of course!

Why oh Why did I not take out a second motgage for more bee equipment (i.e another beehaus, only joking)

I used to have a shed full of equipment, I now just have a shed, and an apiary with small tower blocks in.:sifone:

and an apiary with small tower blocks in.:sifone:

Only a Yorkshireman could see the monetary potential from developing his apiary into an inner city high rise housing estate. You'll be renting out the now empty shed to shift workers next.

:reddevil:

You'll be renting out the now empty shed to shift workers next.

:

Nice one:sifone: I could go into a similar line to Poly Hive of B&B...£250 a night anyone?:beatdeadhorse5:

PS the £250 was not at you PH I am sure you charge a very good rate, it was ref the 3 in bed we have been discusing.

you can see both play cups and queen cells. the frame is on its side and you are looking at the bottom bar. Play cups in the middle of picture and queen cell/s although the capped ones are covered in bees are towards the bottom of the pic.

Last edited:
That's a useful pic for us newbs thankyou!

Latest posts

Back