Plastic - NO

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The water container I saw rotates as they wheel, cleaning the water being collected for the struggling people of the 3rd world.
Maybe in their case I would say their need is greater than all the stupid straws cups, wrapping , bottles etc. etc. that we use.

I am still a bit puzzled that the debate for taxation always ends with just that, a tax on polution. we now pay 5p per bag but hardly any supermarkets have put that money to replace them by "biodegradable" bags. Although not as degradable as marketed, they are probably a step in the right direction and would encourage innovation in this field?

Well done to the OP for contacting Thornes about their new plastic polish containers, I really don’t think plastic polish containers is necessary now a days.

I don’t think Thornes argument about metal corrosion being a problem is actually the reason for them changing to plastic. I believe that decision has been done purely for a commercial reason due to bottom line product cost, because plastic containers are much cheaper containers to buy than thier metal equivalent ones and they are also cheaper to ship into them due to the weight saving plastic offers. If metal corrosion was an issue then why are so many acidic or alkaline products stored and sold in cans? Take Coke and Pepsi for example.

I just hope Thornes have done thier best to check before they bought the cheaper plastic containers and that they actually paid for the more expensive and fully recyclable plastic polish containers, rather than go for cheap non recyclable Chinese made versions.

We have been moving away from using plastic at our works for over 5 years. It cost us significantly but it’s worth every penny - and our customers think so too. We also use brown paper packaging tape rather than plastic, we use non plastic pallet wrapping on our pallets, we use no plastic banding for our boxes and pallets ( as the paper tape works on its own ) and we even use cardboard boxes that come from previously recycled cardboard, oh and we don’t use metal staples to hold the box lids together when packed we use our paper tape. Our average weight per box is 16.3kg - but we do pack up to 27kg items in single boxes every day. all of our goods are quite heavy inside the boxes but because we pay the best for the paper tape they hold together very well when they are shipped around the UK and Europe by courier every day.

Don't forget to take some non plastic containers to tip any milk into, it often comes in plastic containers.

Our local milkman and cattle / milk producer, finally stopped delivering milk 18 months ago after 75 years in the business put down simply because people did not want glass bottles anymore. He followed the supermarkets selling prices so it wasn’t a cost issue but he eventually gave up rather than move over to plastic bottles.

I do miss his old shaped bottles that I had used all my life till he stopped.

I have wondered this last few weeks if he had managed to stay in business if he would have started to see an increase in his sales now everyone is now focusing on how bad plastic really is.

Last edited:
now everyone is now focusing on how bad plastic really is.

I must be in a majority of one here :) ...I like them, particularly the funky colours. Also very much cheaper than the old metal ones.....I still have a few metal ones left but will be purchasing a 100 rainbow coloured plastic polish containers soon.
I also thought we are on the way to sorting our plastic problem...Galleria mellonella to the rescue.

I must be in a majority of one here :) ...I like them, particularly the funky colours. Also very much cheaper than the old metal ones.....I still have a few metal ones left but will be purchasing a 100 rainbow coloured plastic polish containers soon.
I also thought we are on the way to sorting our plastic problem...Galleria mellonella to the rescue.

Wax moth grubs certainly chew plastic up, but they actually digest it or just crap out tiny pieces of plastic which is then even easier to disperse into the wider environment?

No it's not simply chewing... the larvae of the wax moth Galleria mellonella bio -degrade plastic producing ethylene glycol.
Just do a google search you'll find loads more information.

Wax moth grubs certainly chew plastic up, but they actually digest it or just crap out tiny pieces of plastic which is then even easier to disperse into the wider environment?

Degrade it into antifreeze which will defrost the Poles? ( North and South Arctic / Antarctic.. not the Northern European friends that do all the agricultural work)

Plastic would be better put in landfill as a carbon sink... than being ground to a micro time bomb in our seas!

Not da

I don’t think Thornes argument about metal corrosion being a problem is actually the reason for them changing to plastic.

Actually I've written off a box of polish tins due to corrosion, and I'm small beer in polish making. I know of others who have written off large quantities (probably tens of thousands) due to storage & corrosion problems.

Actually I've written off a box of polish tins due to corrosion, and I'm small beer in polish making. I know of others who have written off large quantities (probably tens of thousands) due to storage & corrosion problems.

I bought some aluminum ones that seem to be OK..."Tin Plated " ones seem to be a problem.....although sold in this packaging for years.... perhaps the tin is not tin???

Yeghes da

Last time I made polish and stored in a plastic container it melted the container, made a hell of a mess.....I buy it now!!!!!

I will continue using plastic.
When I look, where I have plastic: All ectrict wires, vacuum cleaner, car, TV, soffa, classes, thousers,

Last battle during last year was that EU partly banned to use wood as raw material of our industry.

Every week something is under banning. Is it necessary that beekeepers are always on the side of banners.

Last edited:
Believe there is now talk of banning water... as when boiled it has been used in attacks.

If you think that's bad then you should see what Dihydrogen Monoxide is doing to the environment...

• Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
  • Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
  • Often associated with killer hurricanes and cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
  • Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.

These two need an admixture of Hydroxonium hydroxide before they happen but yes - dangerous stuff.

Latest posts

Back