Plastic frames - how to clean

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton Caff

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have aquired a number of plastic frames. I never intended to use such things but as I have them...
What is the best way to clean them? Is it boiling up in washing soda or can I soak them (cold) in something not too noxious?
I have spent ages Googling but must be looking for the wrong thing as I haven't found an answer.

Thanks
Cath

I am aware of only one manufacturer of plastic frames who claims they can withstand 100C all the rest will soften and potentially deform at around 80C.

The easiest way, but potentially a little dangerous, would be to scrape off as much of the wax as possible and then soak them in warm caustic soda solution. This will strip off the propolis and generally clean them up and of course sterilise them.

A hot water power washer is an alternative but these are very expensive to buy and unless you have a lot of frames it would not even be worth hiring one. I guess if you have a local garage with a hot water car wash of the type which has a lance or gun on a hose that would work but I suspect they would not be too happy with the wax going down the drain!

The safest option would be washing soda in warm to hot water. This will clean off the worst of the gunk.

A cold water power wash will remove dirt but not much else.

A plastic perforated crate is good for holding the frames while you wash or rinse them - you local greengrocer should be able to provide one if you ask nicely.

The only frame I found that was boil / steam proof was the all in one frame that MBS and others sell, the rest will deform. They are also described as rodent proof but I have evidence to suggest otherwise ;)

If the plastic frame is not one of this type I would follow RTs suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
I rather like the idea of a steam cleaner but can't really afford it at the moment. Perhaps Lidls will do one soon!
I might run just one frame through the dishwasher to see what happens. So tempting to use the church's brand new commercial dishwasher! :Angel_anim: Perhaps a bit too hot though.
I think at the end of the day I shall experiement with all of your suggestions

I might run just one frame through the dishwasher to see what happens. So tempting to use the church's brand new commercial dishwasher! :Angel_anim: Perhaps a bit too hot though.

Be very careful! I tried this on a good domestic one and even on the hottest setting you end up with wax settling out somewhere in the pipes!

Mind you, if it is a "proper" commercial with a separate grease trap you could get away with it.

I wouldn't risk the church dishwasher. Only joking. But yes also I don't want bunged up pipes.

Latest posts

Back