Photos of queen been clipped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Here are a few photos of one of my apis mellifera mellifera queens been clipped. photos taken by my friend Kieran Harnett.

I am so nervous to handle and clip as I worry I may damage a leg. All marked but still to take that next step. Must get cracking!

never got the hang of holding her like that. the plunger cage with wide spaced strings is the tool for me for a while. nice photos tho. and a grand queen.

I am so nervous to handle and clip as I worry I may damage a leg. All marked but still to take that next step. Must get cracking!

Im a wimp to I use a plunger cage to mark and clip mine, the thickness of my gloves makes me very nervous about holding her.

That looks a severe clipping. I'd be a little worried they won't like her any more.

How much you take off the wings will not bother them

Why the sudden craze for clipping? :nono:

I thought we were moving forward on this, suddenly it's back? :beatdeadhorse5:

Green, isn't that a rather large and magnificent Queen for so early this year?

Why the disapproval? Clipping is standard practice for many of us. No harm comes to Q, and if they catch you out and swarm at least you don't lose loads of bees.

Mucky scissors. Didn't your friend have a clean pair?

Why the sudden craze for clipping? :nono:

I thought we were moving forward on this, suddenly it's back? :beatdeadhorse5:

Green, isn't that a rather large and magnificent Queen for so early this year?

I wish the guy down the road from us would learn to clip his Queens, his bloody bees are a real pest we get swarms after swarms in our spare gear, just the smallest of gaps and they are in there, nasty spitfull bees as well :hairpull:

clipping queens

liam s profession was in tailoring he just cannot leave down those scissors
hope your nucs in the louth beekeepers association produce some similar queens
martin

I love beekeepers that don't clip their queens.
I picked up a prime swarm two days ago that 3/4 filled a national brood box. I will move them to an out apiary and stick a few supers on them and requeen later on in the year if needs be

Why the disapproval? Clipping is standard practice for many of us. No harm comes to Q, and if they catch you out and swarm at least you don't lose loads of bees.

Watch the re-run of Martha Kearney's Wonder of Bees at 10.30 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday) on BBC4 and you'll see Heidi holding forth on what's wrong with queen clipping.

I recall the essence of her argument was "why would you want to stop the colony reproducing when bees are on the decline?" Go figure!

CVB

Ask the same question when you have to spray a colony as unable to get to it and a homeowner wants it gone

Watch the re-run of Martha Kearney's Wonder of Bees at 10.30 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday) on BBC4 and you'll see Heidi holding forth on what's wrong with queen clipping.

I recall the essence of her argument was "why would you want to stop the colony reproducing when bees are on the decline?" Go figure!

CVB

A nonsensical argument against clipping IMHO
It isnt stopping them reproduce at all, rather its giving you a better chance of offering them a secure future.
Its all well and good respecting bees, but statistically, properly housed swarms put into hives and looked after are more likely to survive than ones that find an alternative home in other cavities, not to mention less likely to cause a public nuisance.

Latest posts

Back