Perspex / Polycarbonate Crown Boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All,
There are some very good natural and recycled insulation options available out there too.
The main stream options Kingspan, Celotex, etc are massive polluters and the fine dust created during the cutting process can very detrimental to the environment.
Apologies if this sounds like a preach. Each to their own.
You do have options people. 🌎

All,
There are some very good natural and recycled insulation options available out there too.
The main stream options Kingspan, Celotex, etc are massive polluters and the fine dust created during the cutting process can very detrimental to the environment.

BUT
Boris said we all need heat pumps so to get my house insulation up to snuff I will need approx 1,500 sq meters of insulation....and that's only for my hives and garage,,,

All,
Wrong ... they are not massive polluters, production is very closely controlled and there are very few atmospheric emissions in relation to its production. PIR can be cut with a knife and split apart without creating dust. If you are going to use power saws to cut it then good workshop practice (like all dust creating materials) should be to have dust and particulate extraction in place.

On the whole, the insulation benefits and long term life expectancy of PIR as a thermal insulation material far outweighs the few disadvantages in its production.

What is not acceptable is the production of methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI) which is an essential ingredient of the production process and currently the world's supply of this is a single factory in China (There was one in Germany which burnt down) and there are some doubts about the environmental credentials of the Chinese production facility.

Wrong ... they are not massive polluters, production is very closely controlled and there are very few atmospheric emissions in relation to its production. PIR can be cut with a knife and split apart without creating dust. If you are going to use power saws to cut it then good workshop practice (like all dust creating materials) should be to have dust and particulate extraction in place.

On the whole, the insulation benefits and long term life expectancy of PIR as a thermal insulation material far outweighs the few disadvantages in its production.

What is not acceptable is the production of methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI) which is an essential ingredient of the production process and currently the world's supply of this is a single factory in China (There was one in Germany which burnt down) and there are some doubts about the environmental credentials of the Chinese production facility.
I am in the construction industry and have seen the dust and off cuts getting blown into the Bristol Channel, the river Avon, the Thames. I constantly find and collect manageable pieces in the Outer Hebrides, in the middle of nowhere. Please don’t tell me this stuff is being contained at source or otherwise.
My post is intended onto offer a natural and harmless alternative to what is otherwise a very efficient product.
🖖🏼🌈🌎

Quite agree BBC. If we use sustainable left over insulation such as sheeps wool loft insulation when we top up our houses, then we can do good and feel good too :)
I guess if we see some celotex in a skip too, then its just as well too though.
I prefer sheeps wool when I can find it as it packs nicely into cornes and does away with the condensation where there are gaps between the block foam and box sides over the crownboard....
we live in a world of variable contexts so we should just apply the right principles in the space and resources we find about us....

I am in the construction industry and have seen the dust and off cuts getting blown into the Bristol Channel, the river Avon, the Thames. I constantly find and collect manageable pieces in the Outer Hebrides, in the middle of nowhere.
well that is down to the poor work practices of the builder - nothing to do with the material, they probably also discard crisp packets, chip cartons and goodness knows what else.
And as for sheep's wool, wherever I go around here I see wool festooned on fences, all over hedgerows and goodness knows where. It's even worse in Scotland, I remember patrolling the islands in Shetland, making our way from Lerwick to Muckle Flugga one day and it was just piled up to rot in the corners of fields.

And as for sheep's wool, wherever I go around here I see wool festooned on fences, all over hedgerows and goodness knows where. It's even worse in Scotland, I remember patrolling the islands in Shetland, making our way from Lerwick to Muckle Flugga one day and it was just piled up to rot in the corners of fields.
Easy Sheep. Don’t need shearing. It’s what farmers around here keep

It’s not the builders, not wanting to use the correct kit. The biggest issue is the cost on top of tight budgets. Space on site, logistics and more importantly available power on site. All these things limit companies who’s profit margins are ridiculously tight.
Sheep’s wool is a natural product that breaks down and becomes a valuable source for nesting animals and the like.
Like everything, the more we demand the cheaper and more available it becomes.

I am in the construction industry and have seen the dust and off cuts getting blown into the Bristol Channel, the river Avon, the Thames. I constantly find and collect manageable pieces in the Outer Hebrides, in the middle of nowhere. Please don’t tell me this stuff is being contained at source or otherwise.
My post is intended onto offer a natural and harmless alternative to what is otherwise a very efficient product.
🖖🏼🌈🌎
See ... I have an issue with this ... the material itself is not the issue - it's lousy work practice and if people on site are pressured by management or the client's agents to cut corners then they should be taking issue with it. I ran and latterly owned a company in the construction industry for over 30 years - we used square miles of single use polythene for masking purposes, miles of single use masking and gash tape and millions of litres of paints of various types. I managed to meet ISO14000 and taught all my blokes what they needed to do to be as ecologically sound as possible - if Site management wanted them to do anything contrary to my laid down procedures they knew what they had to do - stop work and phone me. I'v told many a site foreman that if he wants the work done then it's done my way or the crew are coming home ... and woe betide my blokes if they left so much as a crisp packet, coke bottle or a fag end anywhere they had been working - zero tolerance.

It’s not the builders, not wanting to use the correct kit. The biggest issue is the cost on top of tight budgets. Space on site, logistics and more importantly available power on site. All these things limit companies who’s profit margins are ridiculously tight.

Like everything, the more we demand the cheaper and more available it becomes.
That is no excuse .... I agree we should use ecologically sound materials whereever possible and I hope, in time, a sheeps wool product or something similar will be developed that has the same properties as PIR and equal insulation inch per inch by comparison - but we are not there yet.

That is no excuse .... I agree we should use ecologically sound materials whereever possible and I hope, in time, a sheeps wool product or something similar will be developed that has the same properties as PIR and equal insulation inch per inch by comparison - but we are not there yet.
There are too few who think they way we do in this industry. It all starts and ends with the budgets. If you factor in these essentially critical safe guards, you’ll never work!
Onwards and upwards sir 🖖🏼

A Poem about Sheep, (mainly by Dani).

Easy Sheep.
Don’t need shearing.
It’s what farmers round here keep,
Or so I'm hearing.

There are too few who think they way we do in this industry. It all starts and ends with the budgets. If you factor in these essentially critical safe guards, you’ll never work!
Onwards and upwards sir 🖖🏼
Too late for me I fear ... it's the duty of the next generation to carry the torch forward ....

Latest posts

Back