Perspex crown board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The piece that I cut out with a hole saw goes back into the hole on a slightly larger piece, it can then be removed for feeding. But we do want to move over to miller feeders, then there will be no need for holes.

Yes ... that's what I do. Stick the two pieces together with CA Glue (Superglue) - makes a great filler for the feeder hole - and the bees propolise it shut completely. Strange really ... the bees tell you what they want and people still ignore what they are telling you !!

The piece that I cut out with a hole saw goes back into the hole on a slightly larger piece, it can then be removed for feeding. But we do want to move over to miller feeders, then there will be no need for holes.

Just use pieces of ply to cover the holes when not in use, all the crown boards are multi use, one deep rim one shallow and all have a side entrance, as they are often used as flight/floor boards etc.
Apart from the main autumn feed they are only fed fondant, if needed, this goes beside the open feed hole.

The piece that I cut out with a hole saw goes back into the hole on a slightly larger piece, it can then be removed for feeding.

+1

I'm not sure what this beek knows, thinks she knows, or what. Simple physics re condensation or about bees.

I suspect there is either no insulation above a cold interface or the colony is too small to keep the hive warm.

There should be a top bee space in all hives, whether a bbs or tbs hive if avoidance of brace comb is expected. Simple beekeeping fact, realised by Langstroth and others over 150 years ago.

Get thin twin wall polycarbonate sheet from your DIY store and make coverboards from it. Cut out a hole for feeding in winter and add a larger piece to the part you cut out so that it can be dropped back into the sheet without falling through.

Twin wall insulates well. I add a sheet of celotex board or similar above it in winter and have never found any condensation on the twin wall, even with poly hives.

I have a couple of clear crownboards.

Useful for showing to visitors without risking stings from flying bees. (Visitors stand behind hive to view).

No practical beekeeping use in my view unless on top of a super and you want to see if bees are active in it without disturbance.

What's the point in making a hole in a clear crown board?
You can't see very much through a transparent crown board when you've got a feeder on top of it.

Use a ply crown board with a hole for feeding.
Use a transparent crown board without any hole for observing.
The transparent one can be stored on top of the feeder when it's being used.

No practical beekeeping use in my view unless on top of a super and you want to see if bees are active in it without disturbance.

Also useful in winter to check on remaining stores, size and location of cluster and how active they are inside the hive.
I was able to check on them every couple of weeks all through the winter, but knowing positively that I didn't have to feed had no need to ever open them up.

What's the point in making a hole in a clear crown board?
You can't see very much through a transparent crown board when you've got a feeder on top of it.

Use a ply crown board with a hole for feeding.
Use a transparent crown board without any hole for observing.
The transparent one can be stored on top of the feeder when it's being used.

Hahah that's what I've been doing with a Pxxxs poly hive, a 3mm ply board with a hole in the middle for a feeder in a super with the clear board above.

That way I don't forget the crown board when I come to remove the feeder and super.

The clear crown boards are £3.36 if you can collect and as they are only 20mins away it works well for me.

Latest posts

Back