Perspex Crown Boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been considering making some "see through" crown boards from perspex or similar but I'm gobsmacked at the price. However on a recent visit to our local recycling centre, I spotted a lass with several sheets just about to skip them. I saves her the effort and got 4 pieces of 200mmx 400mm x 3m perspex. It seems that now lockdown is over many shops and restaurants have taken down their anti-covid screens and are dumping them. For those BKs in similar mind, a visit to the local tip might reap rewards.

I've always checked my local recycling centre for polycarbonate shower screens... they clean up well and are usually 4 or 5mm. Sadly, they are less common these days as most modern showers are now toughened glass ... I assume the cost of the toughened glass has reduced and the cost of polycarb has gone up to the point where the benefits of glass screens outweigh the slight cost difference. I must admit I was rather hoping for a bonanza as the screens installed for Covid become redundant - although no obvious signs of that happening in stores and places around me just yet.

Have to say made some when i first started beekeeping and whilst nice, getting propolis off is a nightmare so they got all scratched up and now cannot see through them so don't use them.

Have to say made some when i first started beekeeping and whilst nice, getting propolis off is a nightmare so they got all scratched up and now cannot see through them so don't use them.
Propolis comes off easily with a wash with washing soda in hot water - just dissolves away. Brace comb comes off with a hive tool without seriously scratching polycarbonate. It sounds like technique is the problem - if you start scrubbing them with a scouring pad they will scratch but with a bit of care - no problem, some of mine are 10 years in use and still quite possible to see through them, very serviceable.

I was lucky too, at my recycling centre and got some perspex. For my other hives I just cut some heavy plastic (matress packaging) to size and edged with duck tape. It worked a treat over the winter, can see frames and bees and can cut a feeding hole easily. I will replace the wooden crown boards with plastic next winter.

Latest posts

Back