Paynes Langstroth nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose if the feeder is a tightish fit then after a bit of use they could become difficult to move or remove ?

Need a big tub of Vaseline me thinks.

I suppose if the feeder is a tightish fit then after a bit of use they could become difficult to move or remove ?

Need a big tub of Vaseline me thinks.

Sorry...I don't think I explained myself very well. The feeder would have plenty of space. In the nuc it is flush with the walls, making it a good division board. In a hive, there's at least a bee space inside the front/back wall. If you wanted to put a nuc in each half, that wouldn't work because they'd be able to pass from one side to the other.

They are a very good box. Simple to use and can already say the bees love them.

Don't want gadgets, don't need frame runners, don't want inspection trays, don't want fancy things that seem to be the plague of the makers who listen to too many opinions at bee shows. Mesh floors make moving them safe.

Not terribly keen on the moveable feeder..............during examinations I am sure there will be the odd occasion the queen will go walkabout and end up nipped behind the feeder if it has slipped across a bit. Amateur forums seem to dislike the fixed feeder box in the BS version. We like it. See how it goes, but we might glue the feeder permanently into position.

Will not ever want to put two nucs in one box......a proper nuc needs promoting to a full box anyway in 3 weeks or so in season. Don't want to add extra frames either, if its full already what it needs is a proper hive or one of their UPWARDS expansion boxes. If the Lang nuc is filling 6 frames and out of room, promotion to a 10 frame hive and given a gallon of syrup you will have a 10 frame colony in only a few days.

Simplicity is the biggy for us. Its the best Langstroth we have seen.

Pick what suits you and your setup best.

I personally like a nuc with a separate floor, no need for additional extensions just one box that will stack with any of the others.

Extension boxes hang around in case you need them or want them, there what I would call a fancy feature of gadget.

Every bit of kit is the same and interchangeable.

They are a very good box. Simple to use and can already say the bees love them.

Don't want gadgets, don't need frame runners, don't want inspection trays, don't want fancy things that seem to be the plague of the makers who listen to too many opinions at bee shows. Mesh floors make moving them safe.

Not terribly keen on the moveable feeder..............during examinations I am sure there will be the odd occasion the queen will go walkabout and end up nipped behind the feeder if it has slipped across a bit. Amateur forums seem to dislike the fixed feeder box in the BS version. We like it. See how it goes, but we might glue the feeder permanently into position.

Will not ever want to put two nucs in one box......a proper nuc needs promoting to a full box anyway in 3 weeks or so in season. Don't want to add extra frames either, if its full already what it needs is a proper hive or one of their UPWARDS expansion boxes. If the Lang nuc is filling 6 frames and out of room, promotion to a 10 frame hive and given a gallon of syrup you will have a 10 frame colony in only a few days.

Simplicity is the biggy for us. Its the best Langstroth we have seen.

Thank you for your feedback Murray. I'm not sure I'd glue the feeder to the side wall, but, lets see how I feel after a year or two's experience with them. I was planning to keep a frame or two the other side of the feeder on setup so that, as they expand, it was handy. I'm not planning on moving them around too much.
I like them too - just trying to give a balanced view for anyone thinking of buying some.

I personally like a nuc with a separate floor, no need for additional extensions just one box that will stack with any of the others.

Extension boxes hang around in case you need them or want them, there what I would call a fancy feature of gadget.

Every bit of kit is the same and interchangeable.

I can see positives and negatives with that. As you say, the parts would be interchangeable if the floor wasn't fixed but, for those wanting to move nucs around, having a fixed floor would be an advantage (no strap needed).
Depending on the price of the extension box, I would probably prefer a fixed-floor nuc than adding another nuc ontop. I agree with ITLD that you don't want the nuc to get too big before moving it to a 10-frame box (the entrance is only a 1" hole).

I move my nucs around all the time, make little or no difference having a separate floor.

Their is loads of options to suit every way of working and as we know their is allot of ways to work and manage bees.

Exactly. What suits suits. Having separate parts is why I did not buy the Finnish versions, and the Lyson (sold by Abelo in UK) ones don't fit our needs for several reasons.

Speed of use and simplicity of handling (nothing needs fixing together) makes these boxes our choice. We never stack with extensions either, if the nuc is too full it either gets promoted or split into two (sometimes more) parts and queens from the breeding unit added.

Others will disagree, and we come back to the good old British disease of individuality of hive choice. Many preferences equals small runs equals high prices.

Last edited:
Never hurts to ask suppliers if they can do anything. If your order is right then allot will do something.

Latest posts

Back