Paynes Langstroth nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
I bought some of the new Langstroth nucs from Paynes (https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3910) so I thought I'd post a comment on here (the product review feature on their site doesn't appear to be working). Of course, these are my opinions but I thought they might help others.

First, I really like the look of these nucs. The feet stand inside the recess of the roof and make the stack quite stable for transport. The roof can also serve as a floor for another nuc (although I haven't seen the expansion box yet). Paynes seem to have improved the design of the feeder in the National (i.e. it is a separate feeder and is removable rather than being molded into the nuc). If you remove the feeder, you can fit another two frames in easily. That makes it expandable up to 8 frames, making it perfect for growing nucs into full colonies.
On the downside, there is no slot for assessing natural mite drop(NMD) in the base. There is an open mesh floor, but, this doesn't expand over the whole floor - making NMD tests invalid anyway. The walls also seem a bit thinner than my Paradise Honey/Sweinty hives so it will be interesting to see how colonies overwinter in them.
They have a small circular entrance with the plastic entrance cover. I really like this because you can select wide open, queen excluder, ventilation, or closed. So, for my II queens, thats great. Also, it helps control robbing (I usually have a wasp problem in my area from mid July onward) as you can control the size of the entrance to help weaker nucs defend themselves.
They have clear perspex cover so you can check on development without opening the nuc (I use plastic sheet from a builders merchant in my polyhives so that's fine).
So far, I think they are a good investment.

Attachments

• IMG_20180629_085737.jpg
    IMG_20180629_085737.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180629_085849.jpg
    IMG_20180629_085849.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Nice change of design with the removable feeder and stacking feet are a great help.

Can you feed fondant overwinter in those feeders?

Any reason you went with these over others?

Do they sell extension boxes?

Nice change of design with the removable feeder and stacking feet are a great help.

Can you feed fondant overwinter in those feeders?

Any reason you went with these over others?

Do they sell extension boxes?

I see no reason why not. There is a little wooden float in the feeder for when you want to feed syrup, but, that's easily removed if you want to feed fondant.
The feeder is the full size of the nuc so is effectively a follower board too (one of the plastic bits seals the feeder and the other is an excluder). If you wanted to start them off smaller, you just slide the feeder over so they occupy less of the nuc.
I was offered a discount through my association so I didn't pay the full price. Buying in quantity reduced the price even further....especially as its a new product and Paynes were keen to promote it.
So far, I'm very happy with them. The only problem is I now have 100 nucs to paint. I painted two with a roller and threw the towel in when the roller dropped to bits. Too much hassle on a hot day! So, I ordered one of these this morning (https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagner-c...ss-paint-sprayer-520w/8314x?_requestid=201368). I was planning on painting them with Sandtex masonry paint to give the bees some traction in the feeder and this sprayer can cope with just about anything. I'm not too keen on the colour range SandTex do...but, that's another story.
It says on the Paynes website that they are planning to introduce an extension box this summer but I haven't seen it yet. These nucs are effectively an 8-frame Langstroth though and you have to think the little entrance hole would be woefully inadequate for a 2-box colony. I can see the extension box being useful as a nuc ontop though. The roof is contoured to serve as a floor if you want to add a nuc above.
I like it.

Last edited:
Seems like a nice design all round.

Bet you got a good price for a 100

easy 3 pallets worth hey!

I like the sandtex Olive.

Im definitely investing in an airless sprayer next year.

Always wanted one.

Complete overkill for beehives but ill use it some furniture as well no doubt.

EDIT - not complete overkill for 100 nucs mind.. :)

Seems like a nice design all round.

Bet you got a good price for a 100

easy 3 pallets worth hey!

I like the sandtex Olive.

Always wanted one.

They actually filled 4 pallets (Langstroths are a bit bigger than Nationals)
I have a 5HP compressor which I could have used...but, thicker paints like Sandtex wouldn't go through that gun. I think the airless sprayer is better and, as you say, has other uses (my mother-in-laws garage doors beckon!). It's not just the nucs though. The time I spend painting hives with a roller is becoming a real pain too. That's time I could spend doing other things.

Attachments

• IMG_20180629_083054.jpg
    IMG_20180629_083054.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180629_085509.jpg
    IMG_20180629_085509.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 28
Wow!

And to think I moaned when 40 turned up!

Let us know how you get on with the spray gun. I dont need much more painting to push me over the edge.

Wow!

And to think I moaned when 40 turned up!

Let us know how you get on with the spray gun. I dont need much more painting to push me over the edge.

Ok. I will do. One thing that I've realized is that the system takes about a litre to prime (which you reclaim when you purge the system with water)...so, buying 2.5L cans of paint is pointless. 10L cans are more economic anyway.

Always wanted one.

It's a different system, but, you can see how it works here (https://youtu.be/Bk7v-j12ePA?t=45s).

Looks great that does!

Looks great that does!

He wastes a lot of paint in that clip by not controlling the gun properly. I can imagine everything being covered in grey paint by the time he's finished :hairpull: :icon_204-2:
If/when you get one, look for the newer HEA (High Efficiency Airless) type as you are supposed to get better control of the gun and less wasted paint.

they look ok but lack frame runners, thickness of material etc. Paradise/Honey paw are my personal preference.

All the same features and more.

they look ok but lack frame runners, thickness of material etc. Paradise/Honey paw are my personal preference.

All the same features and more.

I agree with everything you said. However, I saw them and thought I would give them a go. The discount helped. I needed more nucs though.

Buy the right amount from the suppliers of the others and you will get a good discount ;-)

8 frame is not a nuc its a hive, to much left over space, well for me anyway.

Last edited:
Buy the right amount from the suppliers of the others and you will get a good discount ;-)

8 frame is not a nuc its a hive, to much left over space, well for me anyway.

I agree but you don't have to use all the space.you can just slide the feeder over and expand as they develop. If they get near the 6-8 frame size, they should really be moved into a proper hive. The entrance would restrict coming/going too much otherwise.
The price was right. I don't really want to talk about that. I really just wanted to see what others thought of the design. Your comments are reasonable criticisms though. I agree with them but let's see how colonies over winter first.

I bought three Paynes National six frame nucs several weeks ago the feeder is moulded in and not removable not too much of a problem, i like the entrance disc and the way the legs allow them to stand on top of each other but like you i am not too keen on the open mesh floor, my reason being for vaping as it has no runners for an inspection tray to take the hot pan, i can over come this though by making a small type eke with a built in floor for the nuc to sit on with a slot in the back for the vaporiser, to be honest though i have no major complaints at all and i will buy more in the future.

I agree but you don't have to use all the space.you can just slide the feeder over and expand as they develop. If they get near the 6-8 frame size, they should really be moved into a proper hive. The entrance would restrict coming/going too much otherwise.
The price was right. I don't really want to talk about that. I really just wanted to see what others thought of the design. Your comments are reasonable criticisms though. I agree with them but let's see how colonies over winter first.

Can the feeders fit in a standard box?

Could do away with the need for nucs boxes altogether if so, just slide feeder across and remove.

Last edited:
Can the feeders fit in a standard box?

Could do away with the need for nucs boxes altogether if so, just slide feeder across and remove.

Do you know, I never thought of that? Nice idea.

I just nipped outside and tried it on a Paradise honey box (all I had available at the time). Not very well, is the answer. The ends of the nuc slope inwards a little towards the bottom and wouldn't be bee-tight. Also, on the PH deep I tried it on, the runners prevent its ends from going down. I pushed it so it did go down and it stood a little proud of the top. So, I suppose the answer is "no" (unless someone knows better).

I did notice earlier that the leaflet that comes with the plastic bits has a photo of a National nuc on. It's not a big deal but, I suppose, some things get overlooked when you're launching a new product.

Latest posts

Back