Newbee error after 20 Years of Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I hived a swarm last Friday night in a poly nuc, I checked all was well this morning and to my horror noticed
the plastic disc on the entrance was shut, and they were locked in, it was definitely open when I hived them.
It was then I noticed the "self tapper" holding the disc on to the hive entrance was loose ??, I set the disc to open and went to my garage for a philips screwdriver, and by the time I got back (less than a minute) it was closed again!!
10 seconds later and all is well, I have also pinned the disc open so this doesn't happen again, I did the same on my other poly nucs lesson learned.

Hardly your fault but at least you noticed it.
I bet we all have near miss stories😱

I hived a swarm last Friday night in a poly nuc, I checked all was well this morning and to my horror noticed
the plastic disc on the entrance was shut, and they were locked in, it was definitely open when I hived them.
It was then I noticed the "self tapper" holding the disc on to the hive entrance was loose ??, I set the disc to open and went to my garage for a philips screwdriver, and by the time I got back (less than a minute) it was closed again!!
10 seconds later and all is well, I have also pinned the disc open so this doesn't happen again, I did the same on my other poly nucs lesson learned.
I’ve done this. I put a nail in one of the gaps preventing it from moving now

Latest posts

Back