Parasite left behind after varroa falls off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Hi, can anyone shed any light on the following comment received in an email?

"John has lost 4 colonies and he told me he had the bee inspector out and he though it was a parasite left behind after the varroa mite falls off? Jim rang me on Monday and I asked him about it and he's never heard of it! Graham said 60% of the national bee population have died through it!"

Is this true about the parasite and the losses?

Thanks.

Maybe. So they aren't referring to just one type of parasite then? It could be any number that are transmitted?

It is viruses that are transmitted, by the parasite. There is only one parasite, that is the varroa.

:iagree: varroa transitted viruses were most likely what was meant. perhaps just a misunderstanding as at this time of year it'll have been an RBI rather than SBI.

however many of the losses at start of winter in europe were put down to varroa/viruses + nosema.

ALL virus are parasites by definition !

True but most people would not refer to them as such. I would think they were more likely to call them a virus than a parasite. This is probably what is leading to confusion.

True but most people would not refer to them as such. I would think they were more likely to call them a virus than a parasite. This is probably what is leading to confusion.

All virus are parasites by definition... apologies... was a bit pedantic ( I am suffering from RAB syndrome!)

:reddevil:I am sure if you asked a varroa mite it would argue that it was not in itself a parasite... but like most politicians... whoops sorry parasites.. but was merely a vector for parasites that were passed onto them from the last government... whoops there I go again!... generation !:reddevil:

Some argue that virus are useful and cause DNA intensification leading to diversity in populations and eventually to new species...evolution and all that !

Some argue that virus are useful and cause DNA intensification leading to diversity in populations and eventually to new species...evolution and all that !

And there are additional theories that the nucleus (the bit of the cell with all the DNA in it, in higher organisms) was originally a virus and became 'trapped', much like bacteria did to become the chloroplasts and mitochondria.

Something like 10% of our DNA genome are old and largely defunct viruses ... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

"John ... told me he had the bee inspector out and he though it was a parasite left behind after the varroa mite falls off..."

Could it be referring to the Tracheal mite? :confused: Can it be carried by varroa?

"John has lost 4 colonies and he told me he had the bee inspector out and he though it was a parasite left behind after the varroa mite falls off? Jim rang me on Monday and I asked him about it and he's never heard of it! Graham said 60% of the national bee population have died through it!"

Is this true about the parasite and the losses?

Thanks.

I've heard the accumulation of symptoms and effects caused by a severe mite infestation described as parasitosis. Could have been referring to that?

John and Graham sound like fairly poor sources of information, I prefer Jim's more measured approach. :D

It may be of use to Google "Parasitic Mite Syndrome" if you fancy a bit more background...

Am I being stupid but is this being talked about a lot more in other countries? I cant seem to find any specific leaflets from places such as BBKA/Beebase that talk about this problem.

Is that because its a kind of "bi-product" of varroa? Is this recognised in the UK by those in the know?

Sorry for the questions, I am just trying to understand it all a bit more.

read somewhere ... that the feral colonies in the U.S. are making a comeback while the "managed" colonies are still dying in large percentages...
which might suggest is the worst parasite bees have is ....

This is a wonderful thread. No one knows what the question is but no shortage of suggestions.

So here's my 5 pennyworth...

Varroa remains the number one cause of bee deaths in the UK. Nationally, winter losses are running at about 20% which is much higher than in pre-varroa days where IIRC it was around 5%. Although of course other diseases and starvation will claim some colonies in the winter the majority seem to to succumb to viruses spread by varroa.

Varroa seems to be the major vector in the spread of bee virus diseases, however IMO it may not be the only vector, just as much as the Black Rat was the major vector of the various plagues of black death / bubonic plague ( although atrocious sanitation & hygiene, and a total non understanding of bacterial epidemiology, probably played a part )

A focus should be made on virus contaminated imported honey and even prion research...
Mad cow / bee disease?

There WILL be a breakthrough, but only if this and other governments will commit cash and scientific resources to it.... and get us out of these Dark Ages of trickling strange brews with mystical curing abilities, over our beloved bees!

Latest posts

Back