paint\stain\varnish whatever

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Beebreeder,

The Cuprinol garden shades you used is basicly a paint with no protection from mould, wood-rot, decay or fungus.

The Sadolin product is more of a paint than stain with two chemicals. One is a fungicide the other a herbicide.

Both chemicals have acute toxicity and one is carcinogenic !

Both of the products also have solvents giving off VOC gases.

After using Lifetime Wood Treatment you won't want to use anything else.

Check out the links to the guy in the States and the company on the post I made yesterday.

Hi Beebreeder,

The Cuprinol garden shades you used is basicly a paint with no protection from mould, wood-rot, decay or fungus.

The Sadolin product is more of a paint than stain with two chemicals. One is a fungicide the other a herbicide.

Both chemicals have acute toxicity and one is carcinogenic !

Both of the products also have solvents giving off VOC gases.

After using Lifetime Wood Treatment you won't want to use anything else.

Check out the links to the guy in the States and the company on the post I made yesterday.
Sounds excellent but no actual modus-operandi is quoted?
herbal/ natural are just words!
Can any one please explain to a thick bee keeper how one application of a water soluble product can preserve timber for A LIFE TIME? what life?, a human time , the life time of a living tree ,or the life time of a piece of sawn timber until it bio degrades naturally ?

John Wilkinson

Hi John,

After being introduced to the Lifetime product in Canada, I researched it at length. First it would not be used by the Canadian government departments if it did not work. I found that it is made from old formulas of plant extracts and minerals. They work with the tanic acid within the wood and permanently bond with the wood fibres. There are natural plant preservatives such as Woad that have been used for hundreds of years, but are now expensive to harvest and process compared to the many cheaper petro-chemicals available today.
When I was originally shown the 10 year old salt water dock made from pine and treated when it was installed, it look virtually new. It was in the harshest environment there is for any wood !

Hi John,

After being introduced to the Lifetime product in Canada, I researched it at length. First it would not be used by the Canadian government departments if it did not work. I found that it is made from old formulas of plant extracts and minerals. They work with the tanic acid within the wood and permanently bond with the wood fibres. There are natural plant preservatives such as Woad that have been used for hundreds of years, but are now expensive to harvest and process compared to the many cheaper petro-chemicals available today.
When I was originally shown the 10 year old salt water dock made from pine and treated when it was installed, it look virtually new. It was in the harshest environment there is for any wood !
I've yet to be convinced.
Differing woods have differing tannin levels (oak being high in in tannins )
I removed some 70 year old window frames that were constructed of ponderosa (pitch)pine , on sawing up same , apart from 1/8" weathering, the timber looked newly seasoned showing pink primer on lots of the surfaces under the flaking paint. I could smell the pine resin very strongly even though the window frames had been located in a southern facing wall. The reason I changed the frames was A/ double glazing and B/ the inability to keep paint on them even though I'd applied knotting solution after being recommended to do so.
After a few weeks during Summer time the fumes from the resins used to blister the paint :(.
John Wilkinson

Do you work for the company thats makes/sells this product Trev.

Will soft wood timber treated with this last longer in the ground than pressure treated,tanalised ect,for stakes.

Last edited:
O.K. John,
You are absolutely right. Oak is very high in tannic acid and I am told that the Lifetime product should be diluted considerably if using it on Oak.

What wood treatment do you use ?

Over the years I've used all sorts of preservatives , from creosote and oil mix to varying grades of cuprinol:)
I've also used the "micro porous" type finishes but found them to be a complete waste of time as eventually they begin to peel . I have pulled sections of this stuff off bee hives and found that even after a dry spell there has been considerable moisture in the underlying timber !

John Wilkinson

Hi Hivemaker,

My job application is going in Monday and this forum will be in my C.V. !

I'm a convert !

If you look on their site you will see they tell you to soak fenceposts for 2 days to ensure deep penetration through the sapwood to the heartwood.

Tanalith e (pressure treatment) has only been used from 2001 since the banning of CCA and they now only allow 15 years life and it should be handled with care. It is stated as being harmful to fish and wildlife and there are two chemical components that are about to be banned under the E.U.

Also will it stop sap stain/blue stain on fresh sawn pine,before kiln drying. This blue stain happens very fast in warm conditions,currently need to kiln the timber very fast,instead of using chemicals like anti blu. I have not heard this product mentioned even once on the Canadian/American sawmill forum i spend some time on,regards stopping blue stain.

Last edited:
John,
You're absolutely right about the sealing products "sealing" the moisture underneath them, then pealing and the rot setting in.
Creosote ? Oil mix !
Nearly all of the Cuprinol products (although adequately treating the timber) should not be used near animals, plants, wildlife or water.

Would you not prefer to use an environmentally friendly product that will not harm boy, bee or beetroot ?

Hope you get the job Trev, do you have any idea about the blue stain question.

Hivemaker,
I believe that if the Lifetime product is applied before the blue stain takes hold, it will protect it from the blue stain fungus. Once it has stained, it is stained !

As far as use in USA/Canada - check out the link below I just found, with the comment pasted underneath.

Gary Schroeder - Schroeder Log Home Supply, Inc for the Life Time wood treatment finish for the bridge. Can't say enough about this product. Easy to mix, easy to apply, easy to clean up, nontoxic, environmentally friendly, no muss, no fuss. Just look at it now and the silver patina will only get better with age. Stunning!

Thanks Trev,yes it would be used on each plank as they come off the sawmill,and if it works we could mill say 60 tons and not need to worry about getting it in the kiln,as it would not blue stain at all,so could be stickered outdoors for a few months.

John,
You're absolutely right about the sealing products "sealing" the moisture underneath them, then pealing and the rot setting in.
Creosote ? Oil mix !
Nearly all of the Cuprinol products (although adequately treating the timber) should not be used near animals, plants, wildlife or water.

Would you not prefer to use an environmentally friendly product that will not harm boy, bee or beetroot ?

Creosote oil mix???, the bbka used to recommend a mixture of creosote and old sump /engine oil in their pamphlet "preservation of bee hives" :), in days of yore , before it was known to be cancer causing !!

John Wilkinson

I also have made a hive from pine and was advised to use raw linseed oil, do you think this is ok ?

I have used seagrass cuprinol on my first national this year. looks good not drab, small tub had plenty left over for chicken run and various other projects!! had to be left for 8 weeks I think before homeing bees

As I've said earlier in this thread, The Lifetime wood treatment product is non-toxic even when still wet and it will protect from mould and fungus, you only need to apply it once and you can use the hive straight away.

Latest posts

Back