paint\stain\varnish whatever

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I am sure this has been asked a million times, so I apologise for the question.

I am building a couple of hives and it is getting to the stage to protect the wood.
I am only using pine as this is my first time.

What products are safe for bees for protecting the inside and outside of the hive?

Cheers
Pete

I used cuprinol wood preserver 2 coats (outside only). Then 2 coats cuprinol ducks back (outside only)

a darker colours for hive the norm? I have just been looking at the colour range and they all seem quite drab.

... which is fine if what the bees prefer!

We use Cuprinol Clear, which is safe for bees. Whatever you decide on, check the safety data sheet. Anything marked "R57" is toxic to bees and should be avoided.

Cuprinol Garden Shades is safe if you want to colour your hives, but it's not a wood preserver, so you'll need something else as well to preserve the wood from rot.

you are asking to do two differant things
to preserve the timber buy cuprinol clear wood preserver there are two,
one will stop wet rot which is water damage the other will protect from dry rot which needs wet timber to start with and the other has a mixture of wet and dry rot and insecticde slap this all over the inside and out if you want to do both or outside only a couple of coats will do,

now we are rot proof we can deal with colours and treatments
what do you want it to look like
if you want paint use any out door type sadolin have a white stain/finish which looks like paint but without the agro of multi coats
creasote worked for hundreds of years preserving timber ask a telegraph pole or a rail way sleeper if you dont belive me!
cuprinol do loads of colours and differant stains so many others all we have to do is turn up and slap it on

so what colour are we going for then puce??

you are asking to do two differant things
to preserve the timber buy cuprinol clear wood preserver there are two,
one will stop wet rot which is water damage the other will protect from dry rot which needs wet timber to start with and the other has a mixture of wet and dry rot and insecticde slap this all over the inside and out if you want to do both or outside only a couple of coats will do,
QUOTE]

Its not wise to put insecticide in the hive

Dark colors make the hive hot when sun is burning.

Don't ask what opinions bees have. They have only one home and they return there even if they do not like.

When sun is hot and nectar flow is heavy, the hive becomes hot. Bees stop working if they cannot keep priper temp inside. They bring water more and more to cool the hive.

Last edited:
I also stop work if it gets to hot!

I have several different possible locations for the hives, most with tree cover or large bush cover.

I was thinking that the weak spring sun will get to the hive when the trees have no leaves for a bit of gentle warmth. In the summer there will be heavy leaf cover to protect the hives from the sun.
Depending on the site there are streams or springs available close by to all but two.

I was thinking as the hives will be sheltered from the sun, if the hives get wet they will stay wet for longer so want to give them the best protection I can. I like the idea of the ducks back cupronel.

Also, as the hives are in shady areas, it might be nice to have them as bright colours so the bees contrast against it and to brighten the place up a bit. Clear would probably do as pine is a very pale wood anyway.

puce also seems quite dark :bigear:

I also stop work if it gets to hot!

I have several different possible locations for the hives, most with tree cover or large bush cover.
:
Hives should be in the sun most time of day.

Tree cover or bush cover drop the yield to half and make bees sick.
'
Best places what I have had are sandpits and sunny cliffs surrounded with wind braking trees.

guess I should change my plans for locations!!

As long as there is plenty of air movement the hives wont stay damp. :cheers2:

What works a treat, and is totally non-toxic is boiled linseed oil, warmed, with some beeswax dissolved in it - works well, is cheap, and if you're careful on choice of boiled linseeds, totally synthetic chemical-free (Rustin's is "food grade") - some other "boiled linseeds" contain solvents:)

It is a well-tried mix here in the UK for hives, I've used it on my shed for years with not a trace of mould (which is more than can be said for lots of chemically "treated" wood:)

It is a well-tried mix here in the UK for hives, I've used it on my shed for years with not a trace of mould (which is more than can be said for lots of chemically "treated" wood:)

I just wonder why "chemical treatment" is so awfull. Do you use "chemical paints" at home. Who of you paint with linseed oil inner wall at home.

You are mad with you naturalization.

Latest posts

Back