Oxalic or no oxalic?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was 500 views
I am going to treat my out hives that I have seen varroa mite on with OA
I am not going to treat my garden hives that I have not seen varroa mite

so YES and NO !!!!!!

Post 20 says it all as well.

WOULD YOU TREAT HIVES THAT HAVE NOT SHOWN any sign OF MITE?
That is why I photograph each frame ... takes seconds, and without flash is quick and does not frighten little ladies ( I have poor eyesight) Then I can magnify images on PC to a level that suits!!

:seeya::leaving:That Precautionary Principle again!!???

Therefore having re read your erudite posting you would treat every hive.bee-smillie

WOULD YOU TREAT HIVES THAT HAVE NOT SHOWN any sign OF MITE?
That is why I photograph each frame ... takes seconds, and without flash is quick and does not frighten little ladies ( I have poor eyesight) Then I can magnify images on PC to a level that suits!!

:seeya::leaving:That Precautionary Principle again!!???

Therefore having re read your erudite posting you would treat every hive.bee-smillie

I don't believe that a colony without the mite now exists on the British mainland.The fact that you don't see the mite doesn't mean its not there.As for photographing every frame ,unless you've got Xray equipment I don't see how you can spot mites in sealed cells unless you use the uncapping technique and you wont be opening up the colonies for a protracted time as you would during normal summer inspections.As I said in my previous post BE RESPONSIBLE AND TREAT.Treating does no harm to the adult bees and can't hurt brood as there is none at the time of treatment.So the answer to your question is that I do indeed treat with OA at the appropriate time EVERY YEAR WITHOUT FAIL.

I see with naked eye mites. Yes I thought.

Couple of years ago I saw during whole summer under 10 mites in my 20 hives.
When trickled every hive dropped at least 300 mites.

In years when I see tens of mites in uncapped drone area, mites will drop about one thousand. That amount violates allready wintering bees quite badly.

Then every one of my hives is going to be treated with OA

What is the lifecycle of this pesky pest........?

Then every one of my hives is going to be treated with OA

What is the lifecycle of this pesky pest........?

answer........

U~Tube video Lifecycle of Honey Bee and Varroh mite

if after this you are not treating you are a endagering the planets environment

A guy who thinks to affect on planets environment with his beehive, must have an overbursted ego.

Key word: 'restricted yellow rain'

Last edited:
It sounds like it all comes down to vain space yet again Finman.

What may I ask do you do if a super of winter stores is still on the hive, temporarily lift it off whilst treatment takes place on the cluster?

You have your super under the brood box, this was one of the reasons I gave in a previous thread on the positioning of a super for winter.

I had the same problem my first year, and now if I am stuck with a super on a hive for the winter it always goes under the brood box in early Oct until March. In five years I have never had a super with any stores left in when I moved them back on top of the brood box.

Rich

Hi,

I'm running two hives on brood and a half for the first time.

As the frames don’t exactly line up from the half to the main brood box, how sould I treat with OA?

If I drizzle the OA over a line of bee on the top half, it may well simply drop down onto a bar of a frame below and therefore miss the bees in the main brood body.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Little buggers hiding -------Thats the point of the treatment of Oxalic acid(OA) - it is applied in late winter on a brood-less colony where there is no place for the varroa mites to hide -all mites will be on the adult bees and therefore exposed to the treatment - i also use OA on any swarms collected that i do not know the origin of.

:iagree:
But a word of warning- -if you Oxalic a swarm - put a frame of brood in also-to keep it there. Yes, I know that there may be some varroa in the brood- but the swarm will stay- I once lost a swarm that departed after I OA'd them-didn't like the welcome I gave them!!

Latest posts

Back