outside bee feed boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfranklyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Hello,
The reason I joined the forum is a simple one. As a retired woodwork metalwork teacher I have an inbilt need to make my own equipment.

This winter, being short of a job, I recently made myself four feeders I designed to hang ove the hive entry so I can top up required feed easily.
I thought feeding from inside the hive was too much of a bother.

Can any expert put me right as to whether they will be up to the job? I mostly fear they may start the bees robbing or invite visitors.

The boxes are 4.5" sq and 8" deep and a quick top up flip lid and have the usual entry method with the feed feeding under a bee proof gap. I have fixed a metal strip above the boxes with two screw holes adapted to they fit over two brass screws to the left and over the brood brood box entry.

I don't mind wasting my time making these feed boxes, but would like to know if they wil work, or not?

Can someone take the time to advise please.

Johnfranklyn

Welcome to the Forum.

I am a relative newcommer myself but am positive you will ultimately be inviting attention from unwanted visitors such as wasps who will plague you and your hives, unless you have a cunning plan to convert feeders to deadly wasp traps!!!

If that is the case and they work you will have created a nice "little earner".

On a serious note you will find other bees finding food source and mixing with your bees. My worry would be possible robbing but also that desease spreading from other bees may occur.

Latest posts

Back