2 14x12 boxes to build comb - Then what to do with them in winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandRob

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Sorry for the rubbish title.

I collected a large swarm a few days ago and put them in a 14x12. They have drawn lots of it out already. Very busy bees!
As a beginner, I want to build comb so I can build my hives, so I'm thinking of putting another 14x12 on top and getting them to draw it out. Then I have frames to make up (say) a couple of hives next year. Does this sound like a plan?

If so, what do I do over winter? Take one box off and store it? How do I get the frames emptied and ready to store? If full of honey, do a basic/extractorless/non-frame cutting type extraction, let the bees finish the job then store?

Many thanks for any help

Yes its a plan, you can store full sealed/capped frames til next year but I don't quite see how you would make your honey extraction as described; many extractors don't handle 14x12. What I would do is to get them to draw out the one brood box of 14x12 and when mostly drawn give a few new frames of foundation and store some of the clean newly drawn ones. I would also give them a super of foundation to draw when and if the time is right. It takes a lot of honey/nectar/syrup for them to draw wax and remember they will need to build up stores for winter and I wouldn't take any honey from them this year unless you/they had a real bonanza and drew and capped a super full - I don't know what forage you have locally but remember that over the coming couple of months they will slow everything down in preparation for winter

Latest posts

Back