other interest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Violin, Piano, Bass, Mandolin, Guitar, Sailing, Biking, Art, Brewing, Skype, Parties and Recording.
College does get in the way a bit...

mainly falconry. it is a good mix. Falconry in the winter and bees in the summer.

also marine fishkeeping (for evenings).. pig keeping and child rearing (not necesarily in that order...)

cattle coming soon and thinking about sheep!

the wife and daughter does horses.... I am not so bothered... I can't understand spending an absolute fortune on an animal that won't even be eaten (although I do threaten it with a french restaurant!)

other hobbies

Sea Fishing, Fly Fishing, Wine making, My allotments, country pursuits in season!

OK, I make a list when I see a new cohort. Goes something like this:
====
No TV
12 tractors
Couple motorcycles
A Munga
Several stationary engines
Collect circular sock machines
Make my own socks
Drive a lorry
Have a Moggy Minor
Oh, and keep bees
===
Apart from the other bits and pieces like Amateur Radio, reading and listening to the radio, as well as on this d*mned internet, model engineering, woodworking, etc. I will keep myself busy in my retirement.

RAB

No way....

Thought only I was sad enough to own a Munga!! :hurray:

what have you got, 4, 6 or 8?

I've a 4 which I'm using for spares and an 8 that I'm hoping to have back on the road this year

as for other hobbies;

all kinds of shooting from airguns, shotguns, black powder longarms, fullbore rifles and section 7 (historic) pistols

my two mad dogs

Keeping SWMBO happy (never ending fulltime hobby that one......)

used to climb many years ago till an accident on a dry ski slope "modified" my right thumb :(

Last edited:
Fly Fishing, Gardening, Unicycling, Farming, Hens.

Steve

I'm impressed that there are a few off roaders present and even more so that there are people who know what an Auto Union Munga is and who actually own examples!
Apart from bees I seem able to spend inordinate amounts of time on my Landrovers... (my avatar is the Series 1 Diesel which i have been rebuilding for far too long). At present I own a '49 80", 2x 1955 86", a '57 2 Litre diesel, a '74 109" and a '77 88"; none are on the road as yet.
Local History, Gardening, Reading, DIY, Swimming and Walking also figure on my lists of interests. Used to do a very wee bit of coarse fishing. Have been on the look out for a while for a 35X or similar sized tractor to use with a saw bench and for general light trailer duties as its a hassle having to borrow one of my cousins tractors.

I learned to drive in an Austin Champ

That means you have driven a Rolls Royce?

Regards, RAB

Not quite........ It was at university and was boyfriend's car. He couldn't afford the petrol so he swapped the engine for an old diesel Commer van from a scrappie and we used to run it on red diesel liberated from his father's tank on the farm. People used to nearly drive into the hedges to avoid me when they saw a girl at the wheel with L plates on :)
Great fun!!!

photography, birding, cyling, hens, growing things to eat, footy, squash, tennis, coaching kids football.

Used to go rabbiting -enjoyed the larking around after dark but not the killing bit so don't any more.

not much coarse fishing admitted to... how come?
I'd add fly tying and testing the results, my allotment, green woodworking, 'general mending of things' as my family would put it, wine making, pontificating after testing said wine & the idiosyncratic pub quiz in the Coalies

Clay's, rough & PCP shooting, Scuba, Walking, Camping, Computers, Delphi, C++, Electrics, Electronics, Microcontrollers, PLC's, Bees, Chickens, Steam power & bodging things.

Last edited:
Now about that PAYG mobile and the Picaxe, or it that what's known as digging a techno black hole?

Welcome. Some self control having joined Oct 2010 and not said anything until now. I couldn't keep quiet that long. LoL

I'm all for digging holes, It's just I'm used to doing it with a 360 machine with either a bucket or an Atlas grab, I'm not fussy which. So far as using a mobile ... hmm... there is a lot to be said for the pic chips. I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to patch into a phone, that you could probably cut a long story short by doing it dirty. I'm willing to bet that if you wanted to patch into the phone's keypad and on button that you could do it without knowing anything about the phone's firmware or ports. It would just be like writing a macro... how down and dirty is that !

Now if I can find the phone that Chris watched my run over . . . eeeek, it only destroyed the display, The back light still works. That would be a very cheap proof of concept device to be starting with.
On switch,
speaker,
answer switch,
speaker,
microphone,
Off switch.
Job done.

I did think of asking Al Q* if they could get Osman Bin* to send me a circuit diagram. I think they might misunderstand the concept of bit banging though . . .:) Expect emails on this.

Anybody got a view about Gadaffy. For my part I trust I am not alone by being bemused by Gaddaffy ducks bizarre performance yesterday and cannot make up my mind what his terminal intentions are. Were his yards of fawn coloured silk curtaining that surrounded him an attempt to become a fashion icon (and God knows the Arabic/Muslim world has plenty of them), impress the 76 virgins he is hoping for when he meets his maker, merely a suitable shroud for the almost inevitable end of this bizarre character or is he aiming to be a comic hero? I do know however he will owe me a bob or two if my investments decline in value any further as a result of his antics so I am hoping his cache is huge and his generosity overwhelming. What say we all?

Back