OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some very healthy-looking fields of OSR around here, and one or two that appear very scabby indeed, much as in the video.

James

Read a Farmers' Weekly article a couple of years ago in which autumn sowing was considered far more successful than spring - Harry planted in February - as the autumn plant is stronger (or is it taller?) and able to survive the CSFB.

There are fields of it near Guildford as far as the eye can see, and when I'm back next week I'll visit the farm and ask how they grow it successfully. I've commandeered Mum's back garden, which is about half a mile away, so will know by then if it's a variety that produces nectar.

Read a Farmers' Weekly article a couple of years ago in which autumn sowing was considered far more successful than spring - Harry planted in February - as the autumn plant is stronger (or is it taller?) and able to survive the CSFB.

There are fields of it near Guildford as far as the eye can see, and when I'm back next week I'll visit the farm and ask how they grow it successfully. I've commandeered Mum's back garden, which is about half a mile away, so will know by then if it's a variety that produces nectar.
Yes, seems to be a lot around Guildford this year. Going to make the Hog's Back even brighter in the mornings!

Found this short clip, thought it may be of interest.

I prefer Harry's car videos, but he explains the OSR in his usual, informed and analytical manner. There are several fields of OSR near me and they were sown late last year. Within the last couple of weeks they've gone from looking like weeds to being almost in full flower; as a layman, I would say they are doing quite well.
Having seen how seriously and uniformly that crop has been damaged, and if spring sowing is particularly prone to infestation, I wonder what cropping logistic prevents all farmers from sowing in autumn?

Found this short clip, thought it may be of interest.

Fascinating vid - thanks. Prices he will receive this year for OSR and wheat much lower than last year yet food prices in the shops continue to rise :confused:........ As I recently posted, many fields of OSR (August sown) round here are in poor shape - doubtless due to the flea beetle - as he convincingly demonstrated in the vid.

I cycle past a field of OSR on my way to work. It is looking very nice and yellow at the moment.

No sunflower oil from Ukraine? Let’s plant more OSR. No fertiliser exports to Brazil, which means less soybean meal for animal feed? Let’s plant more winter beans. These things don’t happen by accident.

Yes loads. It's doing really well this year round here.

We're in North Essex but a fellow beekeeper in Saffron Walden complains bitterly that he's surrounded by fields of OSR but it never yields at all.
It will be a crop of OSR of a variety that is grown for Bio oil. My lady farmer tells me they have longer flowers and honey bees cannot reach the nectar.

It will be a crop of OSR of a variety that is grown for Bio oil. My lady farmer tells me they have longer flowers and honey bees cannot reach the nectar.
Ah ok, I didn't know the wind-fertilized varieties were grown for bio oil.

Separately...lady farmer?! Surely just farmer in these enlightened times!

Fascinating vid - thanks. Prices he will receive this year for OSR and wheat much lower than last year yet food prices in the shops continue to rise :confused:........ As I recently posted, many fields of OSR (August sown) round here are in poor shape - doubtless due to the flea beetle - as he convincingly demonstrated in the vid.
Looking around at fields of OSR in my locality the patchy ones seem to coincide with wet clay land where there was significant standing water. Being a cynical old bugger I wonder how much pro insecticide propagandists will seize upon the suggestions.

I have a question about post extracting OSR. This is the first year i’ve had it near me. Am I correct in thinking if I reuse the supers, the new honey stored in those will crystallise faster having been seeded in the cells with the OSR remains? How do I get around this? Only use those supers for OSR (that’s a pain), or leave above a small hole in the crown board after extraction for a couple of days (?) so the bees empty them? or am I over thinking it?

I have a question about post extracting OSR. This is the first year i’ve had it near me. Am I correct in thinking if I reuse the supers, the new honey stored in those will crystallise faster having been seeded in the cells with the OSR remains? How do I get around this? Only use those supers for OSR (that’s a pain), or leave above a small hole in the crown board after extraction for a couple of days (?) so the bees empty them? or am I over thinking it?
I just extract and they’re given back as needed, I’d suggest any minor residue is burned up in the excitement. I’ve not had issues with it seeding another crop.

leave above a small hole in the crown board after extraction for a couple of days
That won't work if there's the slightest flow.

Give during a dearth - drought, heatwave, June-ish gap - if you really want them clean, but as Ian said, not necessary.

Latest posts

Back