OSR pollen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigsy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Trying to work out if my bees are on OSR for the first time? Does this look like the right colour pollen please? I have a super of frames not capped but they don't shake out, and apparently there is OSR in my locality for the first time.

Blurry pic I know! Thanks
388af019c314494f6f52900643e45532.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Trying to work out if my bees are on OSR for the first time? Does this look like the right colour pollen please? I have a super of frames not capped but they don't shake out, and apparently there is OSR in my locality for the first time.

Blurry pic I know! Thanks
388af019c314494f6f52900643e45532.jpg

I'll be interested in the replies to this as mine are taking in the same colour pollen. Nearest osr is 1.4 miles away. I thought it might be apple blossom pollen.

I do have apple blossom nearer! Its the nectar consistency that has me worried.

If they are on the OSR look for little yellow marks on there heads .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Have you got any of this nearby?

Attachments

• C55FF93B-9DF5-4253-9B26-52DD78DE04A8.jpg
    C55FF93B-9DF5-4253-9B26-52DD78DE04A8.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 27
Have you got any of this nearby?
TBH not sure. Good match on the colour though.

I have seen a tiny minority come in with the pollen on the head, so maybe I have a small minority finding it.

I know this might be an impossible question to answer, but would giving it another week be a terrible idea?

My gut says there is more to be stored in this super but i don't have have experience of how long I can leave it before extraction.

It's barely started being capped bar the middle frames. The frames at the edges are not very full. I've moved them about yesterday to even it out.

From experience the bees usually have a yellow dot of pollen between there eyes if they are on OSR, i found that rape honey is ready to extract before the frames are fully capped, you are better of getting a refractometer to check it,the OSR honey i extracted a couple of years back was reading 17% moisture content and it was still not capped.

Cheers. I'll check it today.

Double confused now lol, I took two frames and gave them a more vigorous shakes test, they both failed this time. But taking a bit of honey from within a cell and checking on the brix scale they are around 17.5.

Maybe they have put some fresh nectar in this morning for ripening. Either way I am going to leave and have another check next weekend.

The general consensus in my area that has a lot of OSR is to take it off when the fields of OSR start turning green, (don't wait until it's completely green) that's when the flowers are setting and the flow will come to an end.

Last edited:
The general consensus in my area that has a lot of OSR is to take it off when the fields of OSR start turning green, (don't wait until it's completely green) that's when the flowers are setting and the flow will come to an end.

Thank you. I shall get out and have a look.

From experience the bees usually have a yellow dot of pollen between there eyes if they are on OSR, i found that rape honey is ready to extract before the frames are fully capped, you are better of getting a refractometer to check it,the OSR honey i extracted a couple of years back was reading 17% moisture content and it was still not capped.
Is this what you are talking about?
4e0f2d2a9e04c0ce25cc8ea8f6a5fdd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

I certainly don't have that going on. I guess I'll find out for sure when I extract it.

Latest posts

Back