Osb ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarda

House Bee
Reaction score
Hi , just a quickie- is there anything in the manufacture of OSB that would render it unsuitable for me using it to make dummy boards ?
Thankyou.

Formaldehyde?
The hive environment is very humid. Isn’t there a danger of the board starting to disintegrate?

OSB3 is waterproof if you paint it or varnish it,
Should be OK in the hive as a dummy board.
OSB1/2 are unsuitable - they absorb moisture..

I would seal the ends with a sealant or yacht varnish/exterior woodstain to prevent edges splitting with damp..(inside of hive is humid).
I use exterior woodstain and leave it for a week or so to drive off any resiual smells etc..

Cheers for info Dani and Madasafish, methinks I'll wait until I can get my hands on some ply.

Cheers for info Dani and Madasafish, methinks I'll wait until I can get my hands on some ply.

Celotex is cheaper than plywood ...

Even cheaper if you go skip divinng !

Attachments

• dummy board 3a.jpg
    dummy board 3a.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 55
  • dummy board 2a.jpg
    dummy board 2a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 45
  • dummy board 7a.jpg
    dummy board 7a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for that tip and photos Pargyle - skip diving is one of my favourite pastimes .

25mm is ideal. Bamboo skewers vertically down through holes in the top bar with a bit of wood glue to help adhesion. Seal the edges with aluminium tape and also tape the celotex to the top bar. Works a treat.

25mm is ideal. Bamboo skewers vertically down through holes in the top bar with a bit of wood glue to help adhesion. Seal the edges with aluminium tape and also tape the celotex to the top bar. Works a treat.
Fantastic !

Top idea, I'm after a few dummy boards myself.

Latest posts

Back