Dummy board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Robson

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi
I’ve got my first 14x12 national hive, all is going well, frames being drawn out, etc etc. I know what the recommended use of a dummy board is for but do I actually I need to use one, couldn’t I just put another frame in to give the bees and extra frame to draw on to?

You could put an extra frame in if there is room to do so, but, because it will be a tight fit you may end up rolling the bees and possibly the queen and either damaging or killing her. The dummy board is there to slide and lift out and then the frames can be slid and lifted.

You could put an extra frame in if there is room to do so, but, because it will be a tight fit you may end up rolling the bees and possibly the queen and either damaging or killing her. The dummy board is there to slide and lift out and then the frames can be slid and lifted.

(not quite sure what happened there; hadn't intended to post anything - and can't see how to delete the post?)

Hi
I’ve got my first 14x12 national hive, all is going well, frames being drawn out, etc etc. I know what the recommended use of a dummy board is for but do I actually I need to use one, couldn’t I just put another frame in to give the bees and extra frame to draw on to?

I've found that some boxes comfortably fit the full number of frames they are designed for and others are a tight fit. In my experience, boxes are better underfilled, ideally with a dummy to occupy the space where a frame would be a tight or non-fit. That would probably be even more relevant with the height of a 14 x 12 frame.

Last edited:
I use a dummy board even if I could get another proper frame in easily.
Dragging and rolling bees against the wall is horrible for everyone involved.
With a 1412 you really shouldn't need twelve brood frames anyway

Latest posts

Back