Organic or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just read an interesting article about organic fertilisers and the scientific definition of the phrase organic. Apparently if fertiliser comes from plant or animal derivatives then it can be called organic. It matters not wether the plant or animal was 'organic' they can still call it organic fertiliser and advertise it as such.
So....... You can probably guess my next question. If my bees use plant derivatives, i.e. nectar to make honey surely the honey is automatically organic. It matters not if the plants themselves are organic.
Or......... Is there a specific definition for honey?
Cheers
E

Just read an interesting article about organic fertilisers and the scientific definition of the phrase organic. Apparently if fertiliser comes from plant or animal derivatives then it can be called organic. It matters not wether the plant or animal was 'organic' they can still call it organic fertiliser and advertise it as such.
So....... You can probably guess my next question. If my bees use plant derivatives, i.e. nectar to make honey surely the honey is automatically organic. It matters not if the plants themselves are organic.
Or......... Is there a specific definition for honey?
Cheers
E

There are a few 'anomalies' in the term 'Organic'.. Organic Honey is defined as honey produced from bees that can only forage on land certified by the Soil Association as 'Organic' .. and there are strict definitions and limits on what they class as 'Organic' land.

And yet eggs can be classed as 'organic' when "EU Organic - GB-ORG-02, UK Agriculture, The Lion mark is your guarantee that these are quality eggs laid by British hens vaccinated against Salmonella"

There is a lot of confusion about truly organic produce ...

Nice try, but no chance! "organic" has a specific and accepted meaning other than the scientific definition. I'm more surprised that the confusion for the source of organic fertiliser is allowed. The wrath of people who jump through all the hoops to produce the defined truly organic products towards mislabelled produce is understandable.

The soil association isn't the only body that certifies organic farms. There is also the organic farmers and growers association who I believe to be slightly more sensible than the soil association. I don't see how you could possibly make sure your bees only foraged on organically grown plants though

That's why it's almost impossible to call UK produced honey organic

But I have seen many locally that do and when questioned they say they don't treat so they are organic.

Couldn't Heather honey be classed as organic?. Some estates spray Bracken but, not all so if the hives were far enough out on the Heather and the estate didnt spray then surely it could be classed as organic.

Much of the very same 'debate' rages here in Australia where
if you follow the line "no treatment equals organic" all
production line honey is "organic" as there is no VD (yet) and
largely "medicine" is banned as treatment.
However the very same conditions for certification exist and
so to truly comply it is that only honey extracted from flows
remote to any argri/horticulture and animal husbandry lots which
truly owns the status of "organic" - those operators today
are few as costs in relocation along with the AFB map
expanding deny the effort for remote sitings on isolated flows.

The fallout from the debate has only the truly naive accepting
the "organic" label, with even that sector noting "mixed floral"
with the "organic" label slapped on it often has "packed in
Australia from selected imports and 100% Australian honey"
as "fine print" disclosure.
Something separate to the organic debate yet attracts that lobby
group in their belief the "organic" label is being malaligned.

Our (local) honey is organic as it is all 100% guaranteed bee spew.
No white sugar, no added glucose, and no colouring (caramel) added.

Bill

Couldn't Heather honey be classed as organic?. Some estates spray Bracken but, not all so if the hives were far enough out on the Heather and the estate didnt spray then surely it could be classed as organic.

That was the exception I was talking about

Soil Association do not allow II........
Therefore any queens produced by that method would not be "Organic" or presumably any honey their offspring produced!!!!

BBKA seem to have been infiltrated by the ORGANIC ZEALOT BRIGADE et al ... referring to their breeding and queen production modules... B+ could probably enlighten us??

Chons da

Last edited:
It’s not just what’s sprayed on estate but as above several bee management practices itld did tell me many years ago but can’t remember details

But, for the less honest;

Including buzz words that appeal to those with deep pockets
puts another tank of fuel in the Range Rover! :sifone:

But, for the less honest;

Including buzz words that appeal to those with deep pockets
puts another tank of fuel in the Range Rover! :sifone:

Sorry I am not interested in Range Rovers and their fuelling.

Now if you can refuel my Ferrari, Maybach and gold plated Rolls ,I might be interested.. Range Rovers are for people who value image over quality.

Soon be governed to the appropriate speed limit anyway! :bump:

Only for the hoi polloi.. Mine will be governed to the speed of sound.. at sea level of course..

Latest posts

Back