Spraying the OSR today.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Not sure if I can do anything now but I've just taken a call from the local farm manager to let me know that they are spraying the OSR 1 km down the road either this evening or in the morning. He couldn't be more specific as he's not sure when the equipment is coming.

I asked what was being sprayed and apparently it's a herbicide. I thought herbicides would kill plants???

Any advice would be gratefully received. My bees are definitely foraging on it at the moment :(

They spray herbicides to kill the weeds.

Is it a selective herbicide that doesn't affect the rape plants then Domino?

Not sure if I can do anything now but I've just taken a call from the local farm manager to let me know that they are spraying the OSR 1 km down the road either this evening or in the morning. He couldn't be more specific as he's not sure when the equipment is coming.

I asked what was being sprayed and apparently it's a herbicide. I thought herbicides would kill plants???

Any advice would be gratefully received. My bees are definitely foraging on it at the moment :(

If they do it early enough in the morning or late enough in the evening I would not worry too much.
The farmer I work with not only warns me when they are spraying but makes sure it is late evening or early morning so that there is a smaller chance of any bees foraging.
Last year 6 of my hives were in the same field as OSR. approx 2-3m from the OSR at the side.
They sprayed at least twice if I recall and besides a few dead bees under the hives there was no noticeable problems.
Needless to say those hives produced a bumper crop of honey!

Thanks all, you've reassured me a bit. This is a first for me so as usual I went into slight panic mode :willy_nilly:

I had visions of needing to shut them all in but it sounds like it won't be necessary and would probably only stress them out as a result.

I did ring the farmer back and I very nicely asked if he could try and give me 24hrs notice next time especially if they are using pesticides. He explained that its not always easy due to weather conditions changing and timing of the equipment arriving which he only has limited control over. I'm delighted that he rang me in the first place so I must make sure I keep him on side...... I shall make sure I go round with a jar of my honey later in the year :)

Last edited:
At the end of the day it's in the farmers interest as well as he wants your bees to pollinate his crops!
ofc some are a lot more helpful than others. Mine just took a fence down for me so I can drive the car right upto the hives!!!!!

if you have a bale of straw springkle some of it all over the landing board or piled up infront of the entrance just prior to the evening spray, sort of a very loose haystack but so they can still find there way in or out, it should keep them fluffing around late at night or early morning trying to work out what has happened

herbicides can kill if the bees are misted by the spray or drink the spray droplets on leaves

Last edited:
Yes agreed, even herbicide can kill bees if it catches them. But it wouldn't be likely to affect a significant number enough to affect the colony as a whole. The straw thing is a nice idea, certainly better than shutting them in.

if you have a bale of straw springkle some of it all over the landing board or piled up infront of the entrance just prior to the evening spray, sort of a very loose haystack but so they can still find there way in or out, it should keep them fluffing around late at night or early morning trying to work out what has happened

Thanks MM, I read about this technique elsewhere on the web so I figured there was nothing to lose really and I got busy with the straw early this morning. Possibly more for my benefit than the bees???? ;)

Had a text to say spraying will definitely be today. Might wander down later and get acquainted.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Latest posts

Back