Open Mesh Floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried pairing an OMF with a happy keeper?

Just wondering why you might want to consider that? One or the other, yes, but why both?

The 'John Harding' floor appears to be more than adequate ventilation, and appears to be a cheaper option to the Happy Keeper (as the latter seem to be less than optimal, as self cleaning, when in use. I have never tried one myself, but was intending to knock-up a JH floor at some time.

I have found that a 3-4mm gap between floor and brood is adequate to keep the hive dry throughout the winter, so a full sized open mesh is not needed for ventilation, but a very small insert may well become blocked with dead bees/detritus in the winter. Maybe a small piece at each of the corners would suffice?

RAB

I have noticed that my hives with OMF seem to attract far more in the way of creepy crawlies (earwigs etc) than those on solid floors...and they are in the same apiary..

has anyone else found this too ?

S

My hives are usually teaming with earwigs in summer. Under the roof though not open mesh floor. They are harmless though

Latest posts

Back