Oil Drums

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Ilkeston, Derbyshire

Tel:

Chap has a load of 55 gallon oil drums for sale... too far away for me to collect, but may be of interest to any beeks local to Ilkeston
£30 each?

Hope this is not infringing any rules?

:adminpower:

I've seen top bar hives and barbeques made out of them

Well down here in deepest darkest... beeks cut the top off, fill them with water and set a log fire under... for a nice refreshing bath after a sweaty day slaving in the apiary.
I however find them useful for steeping frames/hives etc in if soda is added to the used hot water!

Well down here in deepest darkest... beeks cut the top off, fill them with water and set a log fire under... for a nice refreshing bath after a sweaty day slaving in the apiary.
/QUOTE]

An oil drum for a bath??!!??

Luxury!

When I were a lad, ten of us used to live in an oil drum!
We used to bathe in a tin bucket,
then t'mother used to keep t'water and serve it back to us as soup fer t'dinner!

Dusty.

What on earth would beeks be wanting oil drums for?

It's called "community"!
ICHI heard about something that he thought he might be able to use - but no realistic way to get due to distance.
He thought - I wonder if anyone on the forum might (also) find them useful?

And with that thought in mind passe don the info....

I doubt very much if he thought - I wonder if there are any ******* on the forum that don't have a use for them but will bother to comment!!

Apart from the various possible uses in the beekeeping world presumably there are beekeepers who have other interests as well and might be able to put them to use.....

Lets face it - What on earth would beeks be wanting a Tractor for?

Please Olly - think about it before you start spouting.

It's called "community"!
ICHI heard about something that he thought he might be able to use - but no realistic way to get due to distance.
He thought - I wonder if anyone on the forum might (also) find them useful?

And with that thought in mind passe don the info....

I doubt very much if he thought - I wonder if there are any ******* on the forum that don't have a use for them but will bother to comment!!

Apart from the various possible uses in the beekeeping world presumably there are beekeepers who have other interests as well and might be able to put them to use.....

Lets face it - What on earth would beeks be wanting a Tractor for?

Please Olly - think about it before you start spouting.

So they can plough more money into beekeeping?

Some alpha *otels have nothing to say but snipe. £30 for an empty barrel. They would have to be in stainless steel to even consider it.

Not seen a useful purpose for them proposed as yet, and the sniper clearly doesn't have any sensible suggestions either. I could think of one use but very much doubt it would not be big enough.

Some alpha *otels have nothing to say but snipe. £30 for an empty barrel. They would have to be in stainless steel to even consider it.

Not seen a useful purpose for them proposed as yet, and the sniper clearly doesn't have any sensible suggestions either. I could think of one use but very much doubt it would not be big enough.

Is english your first language?
Doubting (very much) that it would NOT be big enough - Is a pretty convoluted way of saying.... well of saying anything.
Pretty much par for the course for you - I suppose.

As to useful....

top bar hives and barbeques and steeping frames/hives etc in all sound useful to me.... Not something I personally am interested in but thats not the point..... ICHI thought the might be useful to someone and published it - just like someone the other day published about cheap jars.

The idea was basically helpful - even if not as many people want or need Oil drums.

Just because you or I don't want them (or wouldn't pay that much for them) doesn't detract from ICHI's good intention....
You are a very pompous man and I will continue to point this out when you make pompous pronouncements. HTH.

PS *otels - I am afraid I have missed the reference....

I immediatly thought of a utube video I saw of someone using an old oil barrel on top of a wood fire to extract wax from frames.

.......and once upon a time we used to tie four together and "race " down the Dart.... until " 'elf an safety " stopped the fun!

£30 is a bit steep... unless you really wanted one IMOVHO !

If four were attached under a pallet, they could serve as a floating hive stand in the event of a flood. The whole could be anchored by way of a long chain to any heavy object.

My moorings a made from oil drums.
Cut a steel I beam into 5ft lengths. Then cut four holes in the side of the oil drum, two north, south and two east west. Push the I beams through the holes in the sides of the oil drums, making a cross shape.
Pass a large chain down into the drum around the beams and back out the top of the drum. Close the ends of the chain with a large shackle, then fill the drum with concrete and leave to set.
Get four oil drums and rope them together, then us these oil drums to float your new anchor out to the location of your mooring to be and cut the rope holding it under you floating oil drums.
This is how I have made all my boats moorings and to date not one of them has failed.
So there's another use for oil drums...

The oil drums can also be used in the construction of wood burning rocket heaters /stoves.....for heating houses, outbuildings, greenhouses etc.
Many people and potentially some forum members may have been interested in them so it is good to 'share the love' by passing on this opportunity to obtain some....even if the prices seem a bit OTT.

there are so many youtube videos on this ..... here's one to start with http://youtu.be/x3tAn3wcWkE

Latest posts

Back