Oil Drums

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making a smoker out of one for smoking quail.

I hunted high and low for a steel oil drum a year or two ago (mine had finally expired) - cut the top off, punch some holes in the bottom and sides and it's an ideal container for contained burning of small amounts of garden waste and paper. I would have paid £30.00 as well at the time because mine ws in constant use, and it's absence was a nuisance

If four were attached under a pallet, they could serve as a floating hive stand in the event of a flood. The whole could be anchored by way of a long chain to any heavy object.

Now ... I like this ... very creative lateral thinking ... perhaps tie a 100 or so together and get an Ark ready for the forthcoming summer ?

I hunted high and low for a steel oil drum a year or two ago (mine had finally expired) - cut the top off, punch some holes in the bottom and sides and it's an ideal container for contained burning of small amounts of garden waste and paper. I would have paid £30.00 as well at the time because mine ws in constant use, and it's absence was a nuisance

Totally agree with this ... my wife insisted that I get rid of my rusty oil drum garden incinerator which had stood 10 years of continual abuse ... she replaced it with a more 'aesthetic' galvanised dustbin thing with a lid ... £28 ... it's lasted all of 2 years and the bottom has now dropped out of it and the bottom 6" of the sides have rusted away ... useless - not sure how I broach the subject of getting another oil drum ? Perhaps if I got it galvanised or even chrome plated ?

Totally agree with this ... my wife insisted that I get rid of my rusty oil drum garden incinerator which had stood 10 years of continual abuse ... she replaced it with a more 'aesthetic' galvanised dustbin thing with a lid ... £28 ... it's lasted all of 2 years and the bottom has now dropped out of it and the bottom 6" of the sides have rusted away ... useless - not sure how I broach the subject of getting another oil drum ? Perhaps if I got it galvanised or even chrome plated ?

Paint it pink ;)

I had one of those galvanised dustbin models with the flue lid. Once packed to the gunnel’s with garden hedge trimmings etc. it was a bit of a pig to light, so I jacked it up on a circle of bricks and threw a couple of pages of newspaper under it and lit it that way.

The pall of smoke as it got going was embarrassing to say the least and of course there was normally a prevailing wind that would blow the smoke onto the houses. I did read a letter in the local free newspaper from someone up the road that seemed to point to either myself or others as having a bonfire every time the sun shined and they opened their windows. I do know that their smoke alarms seemed to work just fine.

Once going the galvanised bin used to glow cherry red, which I found a bit disconcerting at first, but obviously the transition from excess smoke to no smoke was pretty fast.

No bees in the garden yet this year, so maybe I should give it a final blast. A 45 gallon drum would be super, especially with a tall stack on the top . . .

Latest posts

Back