Nutritional Supplements?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiLad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm struggling to get a clear idea about the place of nutritional supplements. Like many such questions, there appears to be a plethora of views and few hard 'n fast rules.

My interest is because my colony was a slightly late start in the season (mid-June) and I'm (probably overly) concerned about Winter survival. I expect to be feeding through most of Winter -- local advice is to expect to use 20-25kg of sugar. Whilst I'm seeing a lot of pollen being stored in both of two brood boxes (no supers this year), the availability of assorted commercial nutritional supplements (some combined with sugar, some not) makes me wonder about the desirability of including them in a Winter feeding programme.

BeeVital's BeeStrong, "certified for organic production."
Enolapi's Candipolline Gold, "sugar candy with added proteins and 15 gramms of sterilized pollen."
MegaBee, "a highly balanced protein supplement that is scientifically designed to improve honeybee health and overall life expectancy."
Pro Health & Honey-B-Healthy, "feeding stimulant composed of lemongrass and spearmint."
Vitamin B Healthy, "Provides the needed nutrients vital to the honey bee."
Amino-B Booster, "an all inclusive liquid protein with 20 amino acids vital for bee health."

Phew? What to do?

Leave them to it.

That's my general principle too -- just being anxious about my first Winter.

The local repertoire appears to be limited to sugar. My local guide says no-one uses pollen substitutes and the only nutrition products I've seen in local suppliers are ascorbic acid and cobalt chloride (to meet a local deficiency?).

As I lean to the KISS principle for most of my life (as far as possible), I'll stop reading the pursuasive marketing of all these various supplements...

You have good store pollen in your hive. IT is valuable when bees make Winter bees.

You cannot help bees on autumn with suplemental food. They need Real pollen to became winterbees.
Just give sugar in late half of September.... Or what ever time is correct on your area.

I'm struggling to get a clear idea about the place of nutritional supplements. Like many such questions, there appears to be a plethora of views and few hard 'n fast rules.

My interest is because my colony was a slightly late start in the season (mid-June) and I'm (probably overly) concerned about Winter survival. I expect to be feeding through most of Winter -- local advice is to expect to use 20-25kg of sugar. Whilst I'm seeing a lot of pollen being stored in both of two brood boxes (no supers this year), the availability of assorted commercial nutritional supplements (some combined with sugar, some not) makes me wonder about the desirability of including them in a Winter feeding programme.

Enolapi's Candipolline Gold, "sugar candy with added proteins and 15 gramms of sterilized pollen."
MegaBee, "a highly balanced protein supplement that is scientifically designed to improve honeybee health and overall life expectancy."
Pro Health & Honey-B-Healthy, "feeding stimulant composed of lemongrass and spearmint."
Amino-B Booster, "an all inclusive liquid protein with 20 amino acids vital for bee health."

Phew? What to do?

I ain't sure what you mean when you say you expect to be feeding through most of winter. Feed sufficient in September should carry the colony to spring. also 25kg of sugar is a hell of a lot of sugar for one hive. I feed mine about 8kg in 2 gallon of syrup. I also add hive alive

I ain't sure what you mean when you say you expect to be feeding through most of winter. Feed sufficient in September should carry the colony to spring. also 25kg of sugar is a hell of a lot of sugar for one hive. I feed mine about 8kg in 2 gallon of syrup. I also add hive alive
just noticed your in Latvia my advice my not stand

None of the above snake oil formulas - just give them a load of good old plain syrup (either invert or plain 2:1 sugar) with maybe a dash of HM's thymol emulsion added to help with nosema. Monitor towards the end of winter and top up stores with plain fondant if needed.

I'm struggling to get a clear idea about the place of nutritional supplements. ...

Phew? What to do?

Nothing apart from making sure they have enough stores, which can be supplemented by feeding sugar syrup made from white sugar and water, ratio 2:1 for autumn.

Oh, and give them some insulation. Cover the crown board with some polystyrene or similar, it'll be a great help.

Thanks for the consensus to keep it simple. I've also learned elsewhere (not yet having wintered bees through a cold European Winter) that if they cannot make regular cleansing flights throughout, they should not be fed anything that contains solids; i.e. stick with only sugar.

I am from Finland, but I not knew that beekeepers are doing Black Magic in Latvia. But Russian beekeepers cultivate all kind of humbug in beekeeping. Sounds bad all those vitamins and suplements.

ThIs is a good time of year to get the most out of snake oil aka protein supplements. I'm trying some of the manlake products, ultrabee and bee pro, and you only have to compare frames of open brood from those that have to those that haven't had the supplements to see a difference, the frames from the ones who've had the supplements being full of fat juicy larvae that glisten in the light.

ThIs is a good time of year to get the most out of snake oil aka protein supplements. I'm trying some of the manlake products, ultrabee and bee pro, and you only have to compare frames of open brood from those that have to those that haven't had the supplements to see a difference, the frames from the ones who've had the supplements being full of fat juicy larvae that glisten in the light.

Ready for the frying pan... or do you eat them raw as in S Wales?

Yeghes da

Have a deep freeze full of Cornish Lava bread the Grockkles will not even buy... wonder if I could add that a a nutritional supplement to the fondant?

Yeghes da

Send it up here, our grockles will eat anything.

Morecambe bay shrimps for instance😱

Have a deep freeze full of Cornish Lava bread the Grockkles will not even buy... wonder if I could add that a a nutritional supplement to the fondant?

Yeghes da

I'd forgotten that expression 'Grockles'. I remember my relatives in Devon telling me about it a few decades ago. But I was never regarded as a holidaymaker down there.

It would seem that you're a lonely advocate for supplements -- good to hear some positive observations from actual experience!

Back