Nut allergy and chestnut pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeFarmer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

I have a question that might be a little daft. However, I have a nut allergy and given this I was wondering if honey produced from the pollen of chestnut trees would be safe to consume or if any fellow nut allergy suffers has any experience? I've yet to discover if I'm allergic to bees but thankfully insects and fruits are different.

Any insight would be much appreciated :)

They produce honey from the nectar, not the pollen, but there would also be pollen in it, they also collect pollen from Hazel and Almond trees, not much need to consider the latter in this country though, but i don't know about the nut allergy part.

Try this site:
http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/

The conclusion appears to be nut allergy is not closely related to chestnut allergy.

However, there is always a rider: "not closely related". I presume you carry an epipen with you in case of emergencies? Chestnut pollen will have a much lower level of allergen than the chestnut itself, but it is still an allergen to those who are sensitive too it.

Thank you, I'll take a look a little later. I always carry an epipen with me just encase I eat something I shouldn't have which doesn't happen to often but occasionally it does. I have to consider myself fortunate though as I have a friend who has an egg allergy which must be very difficult to live with.

eggs are easy to avoid. i do so out of choice.

BUT try avoiding the slightest trace of gluten if extremely sensitive. may not be anaphylactic type allergic reaction but unpleasant result none the less.
basically limited to fruit, veg and meat.
even cheese may have wheat based colour on rind. Coca cola has wheat based caramel. Malt vinegar. Brown sauce. UK recipe worcester sauce. wine may have been exposed to wheat based finings.etc etc etc

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a question that might be a little daft. However, I have a nut allergy and given this I was wondering if honey produced from the pollen of chestnut trees would be safe to consume or if any fellow nut allergy suffers has any experience? I've yet to discover if I'm allergic to bees but thankfully insects and fruits are different.

Any insight would be much appreciated :)

I have had a massive hay fever (virtually all my life) reaction to tree pollen ... very much more concentrated when the horse chestnuts are in blossom (and I stupidly bought a house next to a road lined with them !). Since I have been eating (very) local honey in the last couple of years my allergy has reduced very significantly to the point last year where I managed almost without taking the tablets ... the small amounts of pollen in the honey may actually assist in relieving your allergy not incur an attack.

Pargyle,
You have made an interesting point: eating local honey does help reduce the symptoms of hay fever - because a small regular amount over a long period of time decreases allergen sensitivity. This is the principle used when de-sensitizing from bee stings for example.
So, Beefarmer could try this approach too!

I've heard rumour that local honey can help relieve the symptoms of hayfever.

As for gluten last year my doctor asked my to avoid lactose and gluten for a month whilst they conducted some tests, etc. It was hard almost as hard as the gluten-free scones we made!

Latest posts

Back