Not very happy over this

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd guess some idiot's idea of dealing with a "nuisence" colony.

I'd be wary of handling it since it's been dumped and whoever did it was probably not particular about what was used to kill them before hacking it out.

Such a shame Alan as I would have risen to the challenge to save them and only an hours (london) drive from me.

Terrible shame. Probably in the way of building work!

Yes I agree but strange that it never went in a skip this has been placed into a storage box and fly tipped

Ah that's so sad. Hate seeing things like that.
No regard for the bees nor anyone else s. God knows what disease could be present there. Some people are so irresponsible.
Just sad to say the least.

Looks like it has been a cut out from somewhere... but why you would chuck it out is beyond me.. why not melt it down???

In my (pest control) opinion, its contaminated comb dumped to avoid proper disposal costs. Needs proper disposal

Yes I agree but strange that it never went in a skip this has been placed into a storage box and fly tipped
Anonymous, so aware that it's not a great idea then. Which is what makes me think there might be other reasons it wasn't disposed of properly such as unauthorised poisons. Stupid thing is, they've spent the time breaking walls or whatever to get them out, but can't think of calling somebody to collect them.

Last edited:
I took a call last year about bees in a wardrobe. So off I went to take a look thinking a swarm had taken up residents in a dumped bit of furniture. What I found was an oblong box which was a very poor excuse for a home made top bar hive. The small cluster were very cold and wet. Didn't think they would last long as it was end of season. Put them in to a poly nuc, today they were brining, in large amounts of pollen.

There was only enough comb to put into one frame the rest was suspended from kabab sticks. But now appear to be doing very well

Last edited:
One of my students says it is probably from a "Morden" beehive!

presumably referring to hive thefts from Morden Hall apiary - which seems unlikely as why would the toerag felon, who must have been a beekeeper, openly dump comb?

Bees are amazing survivors

Latest posts

Back