Not stocking Troway Hall/Medibee honey anymore - Looking for a new honey supplier.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say for certain that she isn't doing that. I would just find it highly unlikely as she has hundreds of hives dotted around various areas. When I met her she seemed very proud of her honey and beekeeping in general. I guess the best thing is to find out from her before potentially damaging her reputation.

If the honey is of single country origin then why put the blend of EC countries on the label ?

The odd thing is that although what she is doing is not illegal, if she is blending these honey's in the UK it then becomes a product of the UK .

you have to put blend of EC on the label .
It's where the hive is not where it is blended that makes the difference .
I was talking to a beefarmer he imports honey from hungary and transylvania and blends it with his own, but he has to put blend of EC honey on his label to comply with the law.
doesn't seem to matter where they forage it doesn't count as honey until it gets to the hive.

the Regulations require "country of origin" :rules:

but personally I think that 'EC' which is allowed is too vague.

EC removes the requirement for a list.
honey from germany hungary and the uk wouldn't fit so you can put a blend of EC instead. that is the rules

you have to put blend of EC on the label .
It's where the hive is not where it is blended that makes the difference .
I was talking to a beefarmer he imports honey from hungary and transylvania and blends it with his own, but he has to put blend of EC honey on his label to comply with the law.
doesn't seem to matter where they forage it doesn't count as honey until it gets to the hive.

So what descriptions must you use if you import bacon from Europe and put salt on it and then repackage it????????????

Tombo

It's right to raise the question about where the honey comes from, and has stimulated an interesting discussion. And, no, what you posted is in no way defamatory.

You're also right in feeling less than happy that your old supplier is now supplying the shop next door. Yes, supermarkets may well stock the same lines, but we're talking small local shops here, that should be complementing each other rather than competing.

Go to another local honey farm. Emphasise the local aspect while not putting down the competition. Simply let your customers feel that the bees that make the honey may have visited their gardens. They'll love that. Your new supplier may even provide a map showing roughly where his hives are in relation to your shop.

So what descriptions must you use if you import bacon from Europe and put salt on it and then repackage it????????????

You can call it royal Yorkshire bacon but the little oval badge on the back will have the code for the country of origin.

The only exception I know of is Northern Irish Vs Southern Irish produce. A by product of either the Anglo Irish or Good Friday agreement ( I forget which) was that Northern produce can be labeled Irish and have the IE vs the UK mark.

Tombo,

No matter what else you decide to do you should call her and hear what she has to say, if for no other reason than to satisfy your own curiosity as to why she is avoiding your business.

If you get in touch with your local beekeepers association, I am sure there will be some people there who can supply you.

Tombo,

No matter what else you decide to do you should call her and hear what she has to say, if for no other reason than to satisfy your own curiosity as to why she is avoiding your business.

It's not actually a case of her avoiding our business. She phoned me up to place an order as usual like she always does. It's simply a case of her wanting to supply 2 shops next door to each other with the same product to try and sell more. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way!

When she rings up for my next order I'll have a chat to her. I've not rang as there simply is no excuse for what she's doing. It's pure greed and bad business practice on her part and the damage has been done. Some might say I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face but I have my principles and I'll stick to them.

Very much looking forward to my chat with the Sheffield Honey Company though =]

I actually think you are all being a bit hard on the supplier. As a supplier she can chose who she wants to sell to, it is up the the buyer if they want to buy. Therefore if she sells to two shops next to each other is her choice to do that and their choice if they want to buy it. Clearly the op has decided he doesn't want to buy now it is being supplied to next door.... His choice, don't see the problem, it is what selling is all about. If she had intimated that she would only supply the op then that is a different matter, but she didn't.
Maybe we should try looking at it from the sellers point of view, making a profit and selling her produce.
E

Hi Tom.
I supply one local shop and as its a village I wouldn't sell to any other shop.
One chap not from the village but a nearby town rang me and asked me to sell him 50 jars direct as he had a wife who was ill and felt it was helping her (one jar per week for year)
I did sell him the honey but if I thought it would have affected the local shop I wouldn't have done it.
You are right to feel let down find another local beekeeper who has cold run unheated honey and accept that once in a while the honey runs out.
Customers don't mind occasional shortages it just means they appreciate it more when its available

I actually think you are all being a bit hard on the supplier. As a supplier she can chose who she wants to sell to, it is up the the buyer if they want to buy. Therefore if she sells to two shops next to each other is her choice to do that and their choice if they want to buy it. Clearly the op has decided he doesn't want to buy now it is being supplied to next door.... His choice, don't see the problem, it is what selling is all about. If she had intimated that she would only supply the op then that is a different matter, but she didn't.
Maybe we should try looking at it from the sellers point of view, making a profit and selling her produce.
E

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the opinion of 30 or so small business owners all count too. What's happened is frown upon by business in general. I'm not a unreasonable person by any means but if you have invested time and effort into promoting a product only to have your sales slashed in half because of the actions of your supplier it never stands well.

Suppliers and customers have a working relationship with unwritten rules that is based on moral conduct. If I pay my chalkboard artist money to do me a big chalkboard that say's "Troway Hall Honey Sold Here!" and invest time and money into setting up a section of my website to promote and sell her honey I would expect some sort of moral decency.

You are right, she is well within her rights to do what she did. But if she thinks 2 shops next door to each other selling the same product will sell twice as much she has rose tinted glasses on. All it will do is damage her reputation. I've had 3 customers in today say "why is the butcher selling your honey?". That is about the average amount who have said it each day and opinions count.

I've had 3 customers in today say "why is the butcher selling your honey?". That is about the average amount who have said it each day and opinions count.

There's your answer, all you have to do is reply:
"I'm sourcing a better supplier who will provide UK honey, not an EU blend."

(don't get mad, get even :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the opinion of 30 or so small business owners all count too. What's happened is frown upon by business in general. I'm not a unreasonable person by any means but if you have invested time and effort into promoting a product only to have your sales slashed in half because of the actions of your supplier it never stands well.

Suppliers and customers have a working relationship with unwritten rules that is based on moral conduct. If I pay my chalkboard artist money to do me a big chalkboard that say's "Troway Hall Honey Sold Here!" and invest time and money into setting up a section of my website to promote and sell her honey I would expect some sort of moral decency.

You are right, she is well within her rights to do what she did. But if she thinks 2 shops next door to each other selling the same product will sell twice as much she has rose tinted glasses on. All it will do is damage her reputation. I've had 3 customers in today say "why is the butcher selling your honey?". That is about the average amount who have said it each day and opinions count.

Totally understandable.
I only supply outlets that have different customer bases. That way there is no direct competition and I keep a good relationship with my outlets.
One did recently pass on a contact for another business that was interested in stocking my honey but only on the understanding that they only sold it from their shop and not from their delivery vans!

I also think it gives the product more value when you can only get it from certain places.

If you hadn't already made contact with Jez I would have offered to pop in and have a chat. Jez is a good guy though and I wouldn't intentionally try to poach any of his clients.

The right outlets actively promote and therefore sell my product without needing to do the promotion myself.

Latest posts

Back