Not stocking Troway Hall/Medibee honey anymore - Looking for a new honey supplier.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Ello people. I own a greengrocers in Sheffield, borderline Derbyshire and have been stocking Troway Halls honey for a long time now, probably since they started the brand I would imagine.

We've always got on well with Gloria Havenhand and always had a good chat whenever she has called for us to place an order. Just recenetly however, she parked outside the shop, walked straight up the road without even acknowledging us or the business which I thought was strange considering we've been customers for so long. The next day she returned with a box full of honey and walked past the shop once again....and straight in to the butchers next door!

I thought to myself "she has a massive range of products so is probably supplying him with something different". I went in to the butchers and asked "So what's Gloria sold you?" to which he replied "Just some honey". Turns out it's the same stuff I stock, now right next door.

Now I'm a man of principle so I decided there and then that I was done with it. Upon doing this and talking to a few people about it I started hearing a few things that I wasn't aware of. I was always under the assumption that it was "local honey" however looking at the labels it now says "product of UK/EC". Am I right in believing that this means the honey is actually a blend? Does anyone know just how much of it is actually produced locally and how much comes from the rest of the UK/Europe?

The whole thing is pretty annoying as I had just completed the "Troway Honey" section of our website which is obviously now been a waste of time!

Anyway I'm not looking to clear my stock of Troway honey and start fresh with another local supplier. I figured this would be the best place to ask! Does anyone know of any businesses or even hobbyists that would supply my area with a good product at the right money? Gloria's Honey was always far too expensive I thought and probably 3/4 customers simply wouldn't pay the price.

All the best,

Tom

Ello people. I own a greengrocers in Sheffield, borderline Derbyshire and have been stocking Troway Halls honey for a long time now, probably since they started the brand I would imagine.

We've always got on well with Gloria Havenhand and always had a good chat whenever she has called for us to place an order. Just recenetly however, she parked outside the shop, walked straight up the road without even acknowledging us or the business which I thought was strange considering we've been customers for so long. The next day she returned with a box full of honey and walked past the shop once again....and straight in to the butchers next door!

I thought to myself "she has a massive range of products so is probably supplying him with something different". I went in to the butchers and asked "So what's Gloria sold you?" to which he replied "Just some honey". Turns out it's the same stuff I stock, now right next door.

Now I'm a man of principle so I decided there and then that I was done with it. Upon doing this and talking to a few people about it I started hearing a few things that I wasn't aware of. I was always under the assumption that it was "local honey" however looking at the labels it now says "product of UK/EC". Am I right in believing that this means the honey is actually a blend? Does anyone know just how much of it is actually produced locally and how much comes from the rest of the UK/Europe?

The whole thing is pretty annoying as I had just completed the "Troway Honey" section of our website which is obviously now been a waste of time!

Anyway I'm not looking to clear my stock of Troway honey and start fresh with another local supplier. I figured this would be the best place to ask! Does anyone know of any businesses or even hobbyists that would supply my area with a good product at the right money? Gloria's Honey was always far too expensive I thought and probably 3/4 customers simply wouldn't pay the price.

All the best,

Tom

Strange post. I can't see this thread sticking about to long since your mentioning someone's business which could be slanderish.

Strange post. I can't see this thread sticking about to long since your mentioning someone's business which could be slanderish.

I wouldn't say it's slanderish. I'm not saying anything about her honey that it doesn't say on her jars. Apart from the fact I think it's too expensive, which is just opinion not slander. I could understand if I was saying "Troway hall's honey is actually a blend of Tesco value honey and dog wee, my mate has a laboratory and tested it himself".

How is it a strange post? I'm a real person with a real problem looking for a real solution. Are you worried I'm another bee keeper trying to discredit Gloria or something? Pop on to youtube and search for Veg & More. That's the video on my website. I can't actually post links to my website to prove who I am but I think that should be enough.

Any insights into my question regarding UK/EC blend and what it actually means? Trading Standards website doesn't give any exact details from what I can see.

I wouldn't say it's slanderish. I'm not saying anything about her honey that it doesn't say on her jars. Apart from the fact I think it's too expensive, which is just opinion not slander. I could understand if I was saying "Troway hall's honey is actually a blend of Tesco value honey and dog wee, my mate has a laboratory and tested it himself".

How is it a strange post? I'm a real person with a real problem looking for a real solution. Are you worried I'm another bee keeper trying to discredit Gloria or something? Pop on to youtube and search for Veg & More. That's the video on my website. I can't actually post links to my website to prove who I am but I think that should be enough.

Any insights into my question regarding UK/EC blend and what it actually means? Trading Standards website doesn't give any exact details from what I can see.

Do what you think is right thou if it where me making that thread, I wouldn't have mentioned any names. I'd have just asked for a supplier for new honey. Anyway, no harm done and good luck

Its a strange one that labelling. Honey has to specify the country(s) of harvesting, so most local honeys that I can recall seeing just state state Produce of UK. Now as the UK is within the EU then I imagine UK/EU MAY be the same thing, but it certainly allows for blending with other EU honeys.

Without knowing both sides of the story of course, it does sound like you've been hard done by - did you quiz her on the reasoning?

Good luck anyway with finding a new supplier, I suspect you will not have any problem with that.

Do what you think is right thou if it where me making that thread, I wouldn't have mentioned any names. I'd have just asked for a supplier for new honey. Anyway, no harm done and good luck

Fair do's. I can't rightly ask for any insight into where a certain supplier sources their honey without the suppliers name unfortunately. Plus I'm just starting conversation. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on the business practice etc too.

Again, any thoughts on any of my other questions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

(ii) The country or countries of origin: This will be the country or countries
in which the honey was harvested. Where the honey is a blend of honeys
from more than one country, as an alternative to listing the various countries
of origin, (for example “a blend of German and French honeys”) one of the
following statements may be used, as appropriate:
• “blend of EC honeys”
• “blend of non-EC honeys”
• “blend of EC and non-EC honeys”
The Regulations (and the Directive) do not define “country”. It is the Agency’s
view that “country” could represent the UK (i.e. the Member State), or the
individual country (for example ‘England’, ‘Scotland’, or ‘Wales’ etc.) where
the honey was harvested. Similarly, the Regulations do not lay down a
precise form of words that must be used for declaring the individual country
(or countries) of origin of honey. So, statements such as ‘produce of England’,
‘UK honey’ or ‘made from honey harvested in the UK’, or similar forms of
words provided they are not misleading, would all be acceptable.

Its a strange one that labelling. Honey has to specify the country(s) of harvesting, so most local honeys that I can recall seeing just state state Produce of UK. Now as the UK is within the EU then I imagine UK/EU MAY be the same thing, but it certainly allows for blending with other EU honeys.

Without knowing both sides of the story of course, it does sound like you've been hard done by - did you quiz her on the reasoning?

Good luck anyway with finding a new supplier, I suspect you will not have any problem with that.

Thanks for the reply =]

I haven't spoken to her yet no. Admittedly I probably should have though. I've been pretty angry about the whole thing so don't really want to say anything I will regret etc. I think if it wasn't a blend people would just say "produce of England/UK", or I would if it was my business as it does make it look like it's a blend haha.

I think if it wasn't a blend people would just say "produce of England/UK", or I would if it was my business as it does make it look like it's a blend haha.

Would tend to agree with that - and in fact as Nige.Coll says, it does not need both England and UK, one or the other will do.

Perhaps she was including Highland Heather and wanted to cover her back in the case of devolution :)

Since medbee supplies waitrose stores up and down the country it's unlikely to local to everywhere. Their website gives at first impression being very small and local but look closer.

Last edited:
Tombo46,
Just wondering if you're adding 2+2=5?
was it very recently that she delivered next door, or some weeks ago?

it could be that...
- she's very busy / has other problems / otherwise preoccupied so although you noticed her that day she had other things on her mind
- she has a huge number of deliveries to do and you're next on the list.
- she posted an order form to you, but the postman put it in the wrong letter box !
- she emailed asking if you wanted more, but that email was spam filtered.
- you just haven't sent her an order for more, so she is supplying those orders she has received
or a thousand other possible reasons...

unless you talk to her (preferably face to face as it causes less misunderstandings) then don't assume anything.

(ii) The country or countries of origin: This will be the country or countries
in which the honey was harvested. Where the honey is a blend of honeys
from more than one country, as an alternative to listing the various countries
of origin, (for example “a blend of German and French honeys”) one of the
following statements may be used, as appropriate:
• “blend of EC honeys”
• “blend of non-EC honeys”
• “blend of EC and non-EC honeys”
The Regulations (and the Directive) do not define “country”. It is the Agency’s
view that “country” could represent the UK (i.e. the Member State), or the
individual country (for example ‘England’, ‘Scotland’, or ‘Wales’ etc.) where
the honey was harvested. Similarly, the Regulations do not lay down a
precise form of words that must be used for declaring the individual country
(or countries) of origin of honey. So, statements such as ‘produce of England’,
‘UK honey’ or ‘made from honey harvested in the UK’, or similar forms of
words provided they are not misleading, would all be acceptable.

Cheers Nige! It appears that it is a blend then. I would very much doubt it would be on there otherwise. Best people to ask would be them though methinks. She's not really been dishonest as she never said it was local honey. She just sort of works on assumptions which I fell for! Maybe it was just her own honey once upon a time?

Any idea's on new suppliers? I was looking at the Sheffield Honey Company. Going to give them a shout in a minute.

Tombo46,
Just wondering if you're adding 2+2=5?
was it very recently that she delivered next door, or some weeks ago?

it could be that...
- she's very busy / has other problems / otherwise preoccupied so although you noticed her that day she had other things on her mind
- she has a huge number of deliveries to do and you're next on the list.
- she posted an order form to you, but the postman put it in the wrong letter box !
- she emailed asking if you wanted more, but that email was spam filtered.
- you just haven't sent her an order for more, so she is supplying those orders she has received
or a thousand other possible reasons...

unless you talk to her (preferably face to face as it causes less misunderstandings) then don't assume anything.

It was very recently. I'm afraid that she is 100% aware of what she has done. There's no way she could not have known. She rings up every couple of weeks and I place an order. I chatted to her about 10 days or so ago. It really is just a case of having her cake and eating it. Thinking it's perfectly acceptable to supply a "niche" product to 2 shops next door to each other.

I thought I may have been being over-sensitive however I've spoken to tonnes of friends who are in business, all of which agree that it's not proper business practice. A few of which also said they will not deal with her but didn't go in to details as to why.

Just got off the phone with Jez. Nice chap and all his honey is produced locally which is great. He's going to pop down this week and have a chat.

On a different note...

This smilie made me laugh so hard...

:calmdown:

When you get your locally produced honey put a sign near it which says...."Pure Local Honey..Not a blend of foreign honeys like as in a shop nearby"

Thinking it's perfectly acceptable to supply a "niche" product to 2 shops next door to each other.

annoying yes..... but Tesco and Sainsbury both sell the same brands of tea.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Jez. Nice chap and all his honey is produced locally which is great. He's going to pop down this week and have a chat.

On a different note...

This smilie made me laugh so hard...

:calmdown:

Thanks, will sort a visit this week - and thanks SimonCav for the reference.

Cheers

Jez

She lives 5 mins from my aunt. I called round and had a loom in her shop. She certainly knows how to market all things beekeeping, even if 99.9% is total bullshit. I think most of her hives are in Derbyshire. So In that respect I very much doubt it is blended. She has some at home in Troway.

Last edited:
She lives 5 mins from my aunt. I called round and had a loom in her shop. She certainly knows how to market all things beekeeping, even if 99.9% is total bullshit. I think most of her hives are in Derbyshire. So In that respect I very much doubt it is blended. She has some at home in Troway.

The odd thing is that although what she is doing is not illegal, if she is blending these honey's in the UK it then becomes a product of the UK .

Latest posts

Back