Niche beekeeping rant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Here's a niche moan for you... the despatch time of some (not all) online beekeeping equipment retailers.

I've experienced 2 or 3 repeat offenders. I'm currently a victim of Thorne. I never learn; I need to stop going back to them. Even when they don't have a sale on, I have to wait days for my order to be despatched.
My current wait is 10 days and counting.
Emailed them about it. They replied saying I obviously hadn't read their site message - they've got a sale on. So I'm to expect a stupidly long delay to my order of a box of 144 x 1lb jars.

Tomorrow, I'll contact them, cancel my order and order from Abelo or another retailer with better customer service.

I've run alot of online retail businesses. We'd ensure more staff to cope with peak demand.
I've had it with Thorne.

Rant over.

Ah! Damn! They're also printing some more jar labels for me - so I'm a tied in customer 🤦

Here's a niche moan for you... the despatch time of some (not all) online beekeeping equipment retailers.

I've experienced 2 or 3 repeat offenders. I'm currently a victim of Thorne. I never learn; I need to stop going back to them. Even when they don't have a sale on, I have to wait days for my order to be despatched.
My current wait is 10 days and counting.
Emailed them about it. They replied saying I obviously hadn't read their site message - they've got a sale on. So I'm to expect a stupidly long delay to my order of a box of 144 x 1lb jars.

Tomorrow, I'll contact them, cancel my order and order from Abelo or another retailer with better customer service.

I've run alot of online retail businesses. We'd ensure more staff to cope with peak demand.
I've had it with Thorne.

Rant over.

Ah! Damn! They're also printing some more jar labels for me - so I'm a tied in customer 🤦
I am very surprised to read this. We are certainly about ten days behind with labels. The vast majority of our orders are going out promptly. However, in your email, there was absolutely nothing about having a sale on. Every beekeeper knows that the flow was appalling for most of the season and the honey is now pouring into the hives. We will take it on the chin that we are behind with labels but, if you must rant, then so must I. Please get your facts right before you criticise. You can call Gill or Rebecca and we will cancel your order.

Rant over.
It shouldn't really have started to be fair.
I have dealt with Thorne ever since I started beekeeping fifteen years ago and they have always been pretty good at fixing any glitches....not that there have been many. Speak to them rather than. airing your dissatisfaction here?

I would echo Dani's comments...I've dealt with Thornes since I started keeping bees... always been helpful, friendly and accommodating. I think this is probably the opinion of most of those members on here who have dealt with them. There will always be the odd hiccup as anyone who has been in business in the.supply or service sectors will tell you) - it's what you do to put things right that should form the basis for a judgement.

Last edited:
I ordered frames from Paynes in the closing down sale. Thar was 9 days ago and have now heard that they are on the way. From the comments posted on the forum they must have been inundated with orders so 9 days I reckon to be pretty good. Sad they are going but best of luck to them in the future with the smaller venture in beekeeping. Credit where cradit is due.

I have always had good service from Thornes and really appreciate the smoker fuel they use as protection in the boxes for the goods🤗

I ordered frames from Paynes in the closing down sale. Thar was 9 days ago and have now heard that they are on the way. From the comments posted on the forum they must have been inundated with orders so 9 days I reckon to be pretty good. Sad they are going but best of luck to them in the future with the smaller venture in beekeeping. Credit where cradit is due.
I'm still waiting too but have a similar view - they'll have been swamped.

Neither am I and it’s what my main customer wants.
I'm seeing the same. I offer 227g (half lb) and 454g (1lb) jars.
95% choose 1lb. And they tell me I'm selling it cheap (£10 per 1lb jar).

I'm going to experiment with 1.5kg (£20) tubs. Lots are sold on Ebay. And I've read anecdotal evidence that consumers perceive the large tubs to be more likely to contain a 'natural', untreated product. Something about it being a bulk size.

I am very surprised to read this. We are certainly about ten days behind with labels. The vast majority of our orders are going out promptly. However, in your email, there was absolutely nothing about having a sale on. Every beekeeper knows that the flow was appalling for most of the season and the honey is now pouring into the hives. We will take it on the chin that we are behind with labels but, if you must rant, then so must I. Please get your facts right before you criticise. You can call Gill or Rebecca and we will cancel your order.
Nice to see you here Gill. You and your minions have always given me great service especially regarding replacing 6 Konigin controllers! 😁

:ROFLMAO:

minion | ˈmɪnjən | noun a follower or underling of a powerful person, especially a servile or unimportant one: he gets oppressed minions like me to fob them off.

Last edited:
no problems selling 1lb jars
they tell me I'm selling it cheap (£10 per 1lb jar).
Underpricing will lead to good sales, as your customers have noticed. The 454 will in time reach a ceiling beyond which it will look too expensive - your current price is the same as my 340 - and if I were to ask £13.40 for a 454 it wouldn't work, even here in London.

340 is really no big deal to a customer wanting a large jar but does allow the beekeeper to achieve a better return, to extend stock and ensure continuity of supply: those quick September sales will lead to disappointment - for both parties - if in March you have no stock.

Last edited:
Back