Broken honey gate for SAF Natura 9 frame radial extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aestivum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks, I've been lurking here for ages, but haven't got around to posting before, but I just dropped my faithful honey extractor and broke the honey gate. It has a thread with an external diameter of 47mm that screws into the extractor body rather than into a nut, so fitting is crucial.

I've searched the entire internet for a replacement but it seems impossible to find something which is accurately described, and the only SAF replacement I've seen is in the USA and costs a fortune to ship - does anybody know of a UK supplier who could help?

IMG_8747 2.JPG

I bet that any plastic honey gate would fit, all beekeeping suppliers stock plastic honey gates for plastic settling tanks, loads of cheap lookalikee plastic honey gates available on ebay too.

Thanks for the reply - I've got a couple of the normal ones that screw into a nut that I use for settling - they measure 44mm - this is a few millimetres bigger.

Thanks for the reply - I've got a couple of the normal ones that screw into a nut that I use for settling - they measure 44mm - this is a few millimetres bigger.
Have a look on the FB group Home Workshop Engineering. Making up an adapter to a smaller standard type or even a new valve in polyethylene or polycarbonate is the sort of job some of the folks there would relish.

Have a look on the FB group Home Workshop Engineering. Making up an adapter to a smaller standard type or even a new valve in polyethylene or polycarbonate is the sort of job some of the folks there would relish.
Wow, that's a radical potential solution - thanks!

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for ages, but haven't got around to posting before, but I just dropped my faithful honey extractor and broke the honey gate. It has a thread with an external diameter of 47mm that screws into the extractor body rather than into a nut, so fitting is crucial.

I've searched the entire internet for a replacement but it seems impossible to find something which is accurately described, and the only SAF replacement I've seen is in the USA and costs a fortune to ship - does anybody know of a UK supplier who could help?

View attachment 41245
I replaced the gate on my ancient Lega extractor with a stainless steel one from Abelo - the diameter of the the threaded hole in my Lega was 48mm so I suspect this one will do the job for you - at that price it's worth a punt and if it does not fit - put it on a plastic bucket and turn it into a settling tank.

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/tanksbottling-valves/honey-valve-39mm-1-12inch/

It states that it needs a 48mm hole ...

PS: They don't seem to sell the stainless ones anymore.

It may be that they are 47mm or 48mm depending on who measures them and whether they measure the diameter at the top of the threads or in the valley ? I replaced my Lega one (See above) and even without any PTFE tape the replacement screwed straight in .. as it was a stainless threaded gate on a stainless threaded spigot there was no room for error - if the threads were wrong they would not have screwed in and would have cross threaded. As the gate I suggested is only a tenner and has a nut and washer - if it does not fit the extractor it is not wasted - it could be used on a tub to make a settlement tank. No lose situation ...

It may be that they are 47mm or 48mm depending on who measures them and whether they measure the diameter at the top of the threads or in the valley ? I replaced my Lega one (See above) and even without any PTFE tape the replacement screwed straight in .. as it was a stainless threaded gate on a stainless threaded spigot there was no room for error - if the threads were wrong they would not have screwed in and would have cross threaded. As the gate I suggested is only a tenner and has a nut and washer - if it does not fit the extractor it is not wasted - it could be used on a tub to make a settlement tank. No lose situation ...
Same but, £15, has a nut on the back.

I replaced the gate on my ancient Lega extractor with a stainless steel one from Abelo - the diameter of the the threaded hole in my Lega was 48mm so I suspect this one will do the job for you - at that price it's worth a punt and if it does not fit - put it on a plastic bucket and turn it into a settling tank.

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/tanksbottling-valves/honey-valve-39mm-1-12inch/

It states that it needs a 48mm hole ...

PS: They don't seem to sell the stainless ones anymore.
Excellent - many thanks!

Excellent news - the Abelo gate fits! Had to reverse the gate (the lip is at the top) but I can certainly live with that! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back