How long would you drive to an out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukenuc'em

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm exploring my options for out apiaries and an opportunity has come up for a wonderful piece of land. It is a 30 minute drive away though! I'm thinking this might be a bad idea, how far away are yours and does anyone regret setting up out apiaries too far away?

how do you define wonderful without having kept bees there ;)? really needs a couple of bee seasons at least to see if the bees agree with your assessment. I have apiary's 20-25 minutes drive from home, but I don't have Poole's tourist traffic to contended with. Go for it. Worth a try and if travel or site don't work out you can always look for a site nearer to home in the meantime

I think if you are having an out apiary about half an hour away from home it's worth having at last 10 colonies there. to cut unit costs and give yourself a morning or afternoon's work at a time. Also gives an idea whether the site is a dud or a cracker and not just a random hive or two's performance.

I'm exploring my options for out apiaries and an opportunity has come up for a wonderful piece of land. It is a 30 minute drive away though! I'm thinking this might be a bad idea, how far away are yours and does anyone regret setting up out apiaries too far away?
Wasn't going to comment until @Mint Bee mentioned Poole. Now I am, as I'm sure you're aware there has been a bit of a historic efb zone to the west of Poole so I'd be considering that if your drive is heading in that direction. It wouldn't be a deal breaker in itself of course.

90 miles away is my furthest out apiary which takes me 1.5hrs to get to, but it’s well worth it as there isn’t a house or farm with in 1.5 miles in any direction, you choose your out apiaries scope them out for local forage, try and find out if there are other beeks around preferably hardly any or none.

Do you have a home apiary or a place very close to keep a good number of colonies?

If this is your first apiary (and looking at your other posts it probably is) unless you drive past there every day it's too far ...

In your first couple of years you need somewhere that you can drop by very regularly - you learn from being with your bees and seeing them at various times of the day. Out apiaries too far away or inconvenient in any way will discourage you from visiting .. weekly inspections during the season are the absolute minimum but as a beginner you may well miss vital signs of what they are up to if you are only there once a week.

Ideally 10 minutes away maximum - walking distance even better, I'd look for somewhere closer .. lots of big houses with big gardens in Poole and around .. look on Google earth for likely sites within a sensible radius of where you live or work and go knocking on doors or make up a leaflet and drop it through the door. Don's discount business premises - they often have areas of space around them where you could place a couple of hives. There is often better forage in urban areas these days than out in the sticks.

If this is your first apiary (and looking at your other posts it probably is) unless you drive past there every day it's too far ...

In your first couple of years you need somewhere that you can drop by very regularly - you learn from being with your bees and seeing them at various times of the day. Out apiaries too far away or inconvenient in any way will discourage you from visiting .. weekly inspections during the season are the absolute minimum but as a beginner you may well miss vital signs of what they are up to if you are only there once a week.

Ideally 10 minutes away maximum - walking distance even better, I'd look for somewhere closer .. lots of big houses with big gardens in Poole and around .. look on Google earth for likely sites within a sensible radius of where you live or work and go knocking on doors or make up a leaflet and drop it through the door. Don's discount business premises - they often have areas of space around them where you could place a couple of hives. There is often better forage in urban areas these days than out in the sticks.
That is valuable advice

Latest posts

Back