Nice View of Jupiter Tonight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go. I hate to say it, but this is relatively speaking quite tidy...

View attachment 35117

James
I'd post a photo of my garage/workshop but at present there is not enough standing room to get anything that resembles a representative photo ! I can't actually see my workbench at the moment ... having said that ... it is at the back of the garage and I have not attacked that end yet ....

Is it time to mention that he keeps a couple of 20 litre jerry cans of petrol alongside a pair of 3.7kg propane bottles for his blowtorch right underneath the grinding wheels (where all the sparks end up), too?

James
Some years ago before my dad died .. I caught him, having run over the electric lawnmower lead and severed it, with a repair that consisted of the blue and brown leads stripped back with the ends twisted together and the joins covered over with clear cellotape ... he'd not bothered with the earth wire 'as it doesn't carry a current'. Errr ... no Dad ... it only carries a current when it's taking it away and stopping it killing YOU !

I then discovered my mum using a 'bowl' electric fire - the sort with a reflective bowl and an exposed heating element - that I had consigned to the bin years before on the basis it was dangerous (it was from the 1950's with a fabric covered lead - with red and black wires !). When I asked where she had got it from - my Dad had taken it out of the dustbin 'as there was nothing wrong with it'. To give you some idea of its age - it had a round three pin plug on it and they were using it with a plug converter that provided conversion from a square 13amp socket to a round pin socket !

Dad lived till he was 87 and mum to 99 ... goodness only knows how ?

Dad was not stupid ... he was a MENSA member, in his day, a leading authority in the field of metallurgy and ceramics and could still do the Times crossword faster than anyone I've ever come across well into his 80's. Common sense ? ... got left behind somewhere along the way. Having said that ... he spent the latter half of his WW2 army service on bomb disposal and mine clearance as the Allies fought their way up through Italy after the invasion of Sicily - so, I rather suspect he thought he was immortal !

To give you some idea of its age - it had a round three pin plug on it
when I bought Brynmair in 1996 all the sockets there were round pin, I had the whole house rewired (the only earthed sockets were one in the back room and one upstairs - with a bare copper wire connected to an earth rod below the back window and another connecting the fuse box to a rod by the front door).
SWMBO had me keep the upstairs landing socket as a talking point and also the light switch by the back door (also helped preserved the 'graining' on the skirting board and architrave paintwork.)

Last edited:
I believe round 3-pin sockets are still used in the UK, in low-current circuits intended only for things like table lamps and bedside lights. They have a closer pin spacing than the standard 13A rectangular pin version as far as I remember.

James

I believe round 3-pin sockets are still used in the UK, in low-current circuits intended only for things like table lamps and bedside lights. They have a closer pin spacing than the standard 13A rectangular pin version as far as I remember.

James
they're a smaller plug than the old type

The old type were 15amp large and 5 amp small and old wiring was rubber and cotton coated .Still got some of the old wire in the shed good for keeping things together.the sockets tended to be protected by a fuse box with the china rewireable fuses.

just the flexes, I remember loads of old 3 core wire in my grandfather's shed from when they rewired next door - all the cables were lead covered
Yes ... when we refurbished my son's 1918 vintage house in Sheffield we found all the old lead covered cables under the floor and the gas lines that prior to the electricity provide light via gas mantles on the walls. There were still a couple of the sconces left in the bedrooms but the gas mantles were long gone ....

Some years ago before my dad died .. I caught him, having run over the electric lawnmower lead and severed it, with a repair that consisted of the blue and brown leads stripped back with the ends twisted together and the joins covered over with clear cellotape ... he'd not bothered with the earth wire 'as it doesn't carry a current'. Errr ... no Dad ... it only carries a current when it's taking it away and stopping it killing YOU !

I then discovered my mum using a 'bowl' electric fire - the sort with a reflective bowl and an exposed heating element - that I had consigned to the bin years before on the basis it was dangerous (it was from the 1950's with a fabric covered lead - with red and black wires !). When I asked where she had got it from - my Dad had taken it out of the dustbin 'as there was nothing wrong with it'. To give you some idea of its age - it had a round three pin plug on it and they were using it with a plug converter that provided conversion from a square 13amp socket to a round pin socket !

Dad was not stupid ... he was a MENSA member, in his day, a leading authority in the field of metallurgy and ceramics and could still do the Times crossword faster than anyone I've ever come across well into his 80's. Common sense ? ... got left behind somewhere along the way. Having said that ... he spent the latter half of his WW2 army service on bomb disposal and mine clearance as the Allies fought their way up through Italy after the invasion of Sicily - so, I rather suspect he thought he was immortal !
Most electric garden tools seem to be class 2 nowadays so flexes don't have an earth wire to join. (Circuit protective conductor for the purists amongst us)😎

Most electric garden tools seem to be class 2 nowadays so flexes don't have an earth wire to join. (Circuit protective conductor for the purists amongst us)😎
His mower was a Qualcast Concorde ... all melal construction ! He would not entertain a plastic rotary mower - he only graduated from a push mower when the Concorde came along and he could still get stripes on his lawn ! It DEFINITELY needed an earth ! I suspect he got lucky when he ran over the flex originally and the earth lead and his wellies saved him ! The fuse box in his house was still the older style with fuse wire in plastic carriers ... after he died I discovered that he had replaced most of the fuse wire with bit of copper wire - goodness only knows where he got it from and what the rating was !

He was born in 1918 and came from a generation where there was a less than respectful view of electricity !

That generation were something else! My Scottish warbaby mother refused to throw ANYTHING away. And I mean anything. To the extent that one Easter she put stale hot cross buncrumbs (if that is a word) onto a fish pie. Not wasted? Yes! Taste good? Your choice!!

When I first started electrical work in the Royal Navy the UK standards were much higher as reguards wiring ,when we joined the EU I was amazed how low their standards were .Cable sizes were much smaller compared to ours.

I have seen Jupiter tonight just now with the naked eye, burning quite bright in the clear sky now.
Using the below link I can with my compass find it much easier and the altitude in the sky as it gets lower and lower.
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/uk/crawley
I have a new but unused dobsonian, a Zhumell Z130 (approx 2- 3 years old) arriving Friday, I won it on an ebay listing and the guy is personnally going to deliver it as he will be in the area from Maidstone rather then trust it to a courier to throw around. I snagged it for £143 which appears to be a reasonable price as I see it for well over two hundred and near £300 on some listings.

Mars is high in the sky on a south direction and one can see it tinged with red with the naked eye and also nearby anothe rred tinged star also Neptune is meant to be visible with optics quite high at about 223 degrees.

Last edited:
Neptune is a pig to find unless you have a fair bit of aperture. The first time I saw it I was using my 127 Mak and the only way I could be sure I'd found the correct thing was to compare my view with what a planetarium app said I should see.

James

From another portal on the 22nd jupiter should appear above a new moon and venus below it then , 27th to 01 march Jupiter and venus converge to the closest point in the nigh sky.

Venus is too low on the horizon at the mo but as we edge towards the end of the month it should come in view below Jupiter. I'm looking forward to the Zhumell arriving .

Latest posts

Back