NHS - Poor Cost Control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the test only to be called in for further examination. They now say I have Crohnes disease. Sounds bad but in fact I’ve had a dodgy guts for last 20 years never bothered me but now because it has a name my travel insurance has just gone up!!!’

I'm reminder of an old 'joke'

did you hear about the mathematician with constipation?
He worked it out with a pencil...

I'll get my coat
that one did the rounds in the 50s. There was another TOTP but can't remember it. Thankfully???? :rolleyes:

that one did the rounds in the 50s. There was another TOTP but can't remember it. Thankfully???? :rolleyes:

I may be old but not That old.. :devilish:

The first time I had pooh sticks I failed the test so had the clean out drink (not fun) followed by the internal examination, I didn't need a DVD as mentioned earlier as the screen in my particular hospital was set up in such a way that you could view the examination while in progress which was somewhat bizarre to say the least.

Oh and when I asked the doctor why he'd chosen this particular branch of medicine as his life work he said it was because they got all the newest and best equipment.

Unless they have found that doing it in two stages increases the uptake rate.

Which is very possible.

In which case, it could be saving a veritable fortune.
Unfortunately there are sufficient people around who are so gormless that they need several reminders on what to do to remain alive. When the pack drops on my doormat, I have a pretty good idea what I have to do.

There is an intention to reduce the screening age to 50 - a good thing too; it got my best mate in his 50s and took him before he was 60

Bowel screening to start at 50

It looks as if it might be a "home test" kit in future. We're all experts now!

I imagine this might have been disrupted by Covid

....It's been aged 50 in Scotland for years and then a retest every two years.

Unfortunately there are sufficient people around who are so gormless that they need several reminders on what to do to remain alive. When the pack drops on my doormat, I have a pretty good idea what I have to do.
Surely an opportunity for Darwinian selection?

Reactions: mbc
After having radiotherapy for throat cancer in Nov 2010 they would do a endoscopy to look at my throat, they would do it thru' the nose, they did this every month for a year, then every other month for a year. In May 2013 I had a Tracheostomy ( making a hole in my neck for me to breath thru' ) and Larengectomy ( surgical removal of my vocal chords.) So again they would check my throat by putting the camera down thru my nose, again monthly for the first year then every other month for the second year, same for third year but every third month. They only used the anisthetic spray 3 times, and that was to check further down because I was having problems swallowing... Sorry if this is to graphic for you..
Edited to correct the names of the surgical procedures.

Last edited:
After having radiotherapy for throat cancer in Nov 2010 they would do a endoscopy to look at my throat, they would do it thru' the nose, they did this every month for a year, then every other month for a year. In May 2013 I had a Tracheoscopy ( making a hole in my neck for me to breath thru' ) and Laryngoscopy ( surgical removal of my vocal chords.) So again they would check my throat by putting the camera down thru my nose, again monthly for the first year then every other month for the second year, same for third year but every third month. They only used the anisthetic spray 3 times, and that was to check further down because I was having problems swallowing... Sorry if this is to graphic for you..
Heavens. My consultant never uses anaesthetic for my nasoendoscopies but he is pretty slick at doing them and they don’t bother me.

After having radiotherapy for throat cancer in Nov 2010 they would do a endoscopy to look at my throat, they would do it thru' the nose, they did this every month for a year, then every other month for a year. In May 2013 I had a Tracheoscopy ( making a hole in my neck for me to breath thru' ) and Laryngoscopy ( surgical removal of my vocal chords.) So again they would check my throat by putting the camera down thru my nose, again monthly for the first year then every other month for the second year, same for third year but every third month. They only used the anisthetic spray 3 times, and that was to check further down because I was having problems swallowing... Sorry if this is to graphic for you..

Bless you, Bryang, for coping with all that and managing to continue beekeeping. Very best wishes for 2022.👍

There are medical terms being used here that I have no intention of looking up lest I suddenly start to feel not very well.

James

Glad to hear it and sorry old mate that you must have had a medical problem to be' awarded' the honour of poo sticks? Anything I need to look out for? I am merely bloody ancient with nothing much that is untoward atm and almost looking forward to get off this declining globe before we all fry.
I think it depends whether your local health trust buys into the scheme...or not. I'm 70 and have had the tests every 2 or 3 years since I was 60. I've no health issues, it's just routine.

My mum (53) and sister (49) both died from cancer and this initially was caused by bowel cancer, after my sister passed away some 11 years ago I was genetically screened and my DNA showed up a defective chromosome inherited from my maternal side of the family, my late mums kid brother (44) also died from cancer starting in the bowel which puts me in the high risk group. I was refereed by the genetics team at St George's and every year have a colonoscopy and one down my throat to the upper bowel area to check for early signs.
Moviprep is not nice to have to swallow nor the trots afterwards.

I will be 59 in the summer so several years on I don't worry about it and prevention is better then cure. At each procedure biopsies are taken and tested, thus far all have come back as benign.

Last edited:
I had the Laryngoscopy to discover the reason for my gravelly voice.... the doctor sat me in a wooden chair and told me to push it back up against the wall. I asked why and he said "Well you can't go any further then !". He then proceeded to push what I thought was a hosepipe up my right nostril .. I've broken my nose a few times in the past and after about 10 minutes he decided that my right nasal passage was not up to it and withdrew the hosepipe and started again on my left nostril. It't not a particularly pleasant process - the aneasthetic spray is like someone spraying ammonia up your nose !

The Laryngoscopy proved to be inconclusive and I had to have a bronchoscophy ... same procedure but they go down into your lungs .... fortunately, for that, they give you a pre-med so you really don't care much about what they are doing to you !

.... the doctor sat me in a wooden chair and told me to push it back up against the wall. I asked why and he said "Well you can't go any further then !". He then proceeded to push what I thought was a hosepipe up my right nostril ..
I once had that experience, only it was a shining long pipe of one inch wide steel, so much wider than my weenie, at that moment. But he had three smiling young nurses for help, so the examination succeeded

Latest posts

Back