Newly hatched queens.... feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Befuddled by the Great Book of Beekeepering Myths & Legends wondered what the great and unwashed do?

Should a newly hatched ( in an Incubator ) queen be fed?

One book says no need... another honey.. another a drip of water... another only attendant bees will feed her and another she will only accept food after being digested and regurgitated by a nurse bee......

My past experiments with honey have resulted in a sticky honey smothered queen.. I now give a thumbnail of fondant

What do you do||??not worthynot worthynot worthy

If they have to spend any time in the incubator they get a little of my own honey in the recess in the bottom of a roller cage, and they do feed themselves, but as HM says into a mini with bees is best

when you put the honey in the recess make sure to turn the cage with the virgin on its side. otherwise she has to keep jumping or possibly die on the sticky floor. seen a few good queens die that way not nice.

Get them out of the incubator asap because I have left a few for too long (only a few hours) and they died fast I also give them a drop of water and then in to a mating nuc.

The virgin queens I pulled recently (4 in a row) were all starving and put their head straight down into an open nectar cell for ages.

I usually put a small ball of fondant at the bottom of the queen cage when in an incubator, as honey can cause problems, especially if wings get stuck to it.

Don't believe the books when they tell you about needing attendants for feeding, at least when they first emerge!

Dorset Bee, I second that! I deliberately uncapped a Queen cell yesterday and the Queen on emerging immediately drank her fill of nectar from a nearby cell! An amazing sight to see and like always at times like this, I didn't have a video camera to hand :0(

I put a small bit of queen cage candy in the cage, by small think Qtip size and it reduced the death rate considerably.

PH

how long can an unmated queen be kept in an incubator..???

had a bit of a mishap with a table saw and missed the only dry hour of the day whilst finger was being sewn back on

typing with one finger is not easy... opening mini nucs impossible !

Not too many feeding attendants in an incubator.

When I was rearing a fair few I prefered to use a strong colony as a hatchery.

The losses were greater but I put it down to better selection by the bees than I could cull myself. Better to lose the rubbish cheaply than lose a good colony with a poor queen.

PH

Not too many feeding attendants in an incubator.

When I was rearing a fair few I prefered to use a strong colony as a hatchery.

The losses were greater but I put it down to better selection by the bees than I could cull myself. Better to lose the rubbish cheaply than lose a good colony with a poor queen.

PH

PH do you use the cell raising Q- colony to bring on the hatched queens and fit cages around the cells, or move them to another Q- colony.

I use the bottom brood Q+ a qe then a Q- Brood then a super filling with stores.
I read somewhere that a super with frames can be added between the Q+ and Q- broods to make the queen more "remote"

I leave the crown board feed hole open enough to allow drones to escape through to the roof space... they seem to be able to squeeze through the cone escapes....

Cheersnot worthy

Latest posts

Back