A tragic split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paula, you made me smile, I dont think fabric softener would work but then once upon a time we didn't believe air freshener would either. I use glade vanilla but really all you are trying to do is mask the smells of two different hives for a few minutes. It appears that is the different scents that creates the battles so masking it until they are combined seems to work. Paper is fine too, it is a question of what you prefer really. I find that if you are combing a few frames in a large hive for example the a QUICK squirt of air freshener is so easy.
At least you asked about something you didn't understand and I applaud you for that..... Many don't 😄

Air freshener
The traditional way of uniting two colonies of bees is to do it through two layers of newspaper.
A quicker way is to quick spray( not deluge) the bottom bars of the top colony and the top bars of the bottom one and put them together without newspaper.
Really quick. No fighting. Works well
With bees still around?… so the spray doesn’t kill any ??

With bees still around?… so the spray doesn’t kill any ??
It certainly doesn’t kill bees. In fact I had bees balling a queen that I was trying to introduce so in desperation I gave the ball and queen a blast of my best Glade Vanilla! Next time I looked it was all sweetness and light!

Glade seems to be one of the few brands that spray out the side and so can be directed where you want it. Many just spray upwards and don't work if the can isn't upright.
I used glade floral blossom - seemed appropriate!
As well as "normal" unites I've sprayed into a box with a swarm in it, tipped it about, 2nd spray (both brief), sprayed the recipient colony and united them (queenless colony). No fighting.
If I'm in a position where I'm not worried if it fails I may try a queen introduction as mentioned above. Next year now. If anyone tries it please report back!

We have one that sprays "sideways", but it's slightly different I think in that it uses a trigger operated pump rather than a pressurised propellant, and it's refillable. I have no idea who makes it off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to check later.

James

It certainly doesn’t kill bees. In fact I had bees balling a queen that I was trying to introduce so in desperation I gave the ball and queen a blast of my best Glade Vanilla! Next time I looked it was all sweetness and light!
That’s really helpful. In the past I’ve had some very defensive (not aggressive) bees where I presume alarm pheromones were quickly elicited and triggering. I wonder if a little glade in the area rather than just smoke would be a safe way of dampening their detection of the alarm pheromone?? Has anyone tried this? ((Maybe a slow continual release air freshener somewhere near the apiary might give all us relaxed colonies!! 😂))

Latest posts

Back